Chapter 83

Alyssa

How to break the rules? Well first you needed a motive, had it, and next you needed a plan. Didn't have that. I had never defied an instruction, but now just thinking about it gave me an adrenaline rush. I wanted to get a message to Jason, but how would I do that without getting caught? Jason was a smart guy. Whatever I tried he would pick up on. I took the whole night to think about it. But what if Jason didn't agree to it? No couldn't be negative. What if I went through Jared? Maybe he could help, like to just have a place to meet. Or I could leave a note with Jared! But what if Jason didn't go see him? Maybe I should call him. This was going to happen. I couldn't let it slip by me.

I dialed Jared at his private number. It rang a couple times then he answered. 

"Alyssa, it is two in the morning, this better be an emergency." He said in a singsong voice so I knew he was kidding. 

"Sorry Jared. This is sort of an emergency."

"Emergency of the heart?"

"I hate to call it that... yes."

"What's the matter?"

"I've come to a decision, I'm letting Jason go, but I just want to say goodbye, an actual goodbye. Can you help?"

He was silent on his end for a bit. 

"Sure sweetie, tell you what. He's coming tomorrow to pick up his tux. Be here before that and I'll send him to the back. Just be quick." 

I breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Thank you so much Jared, what time is he coming?" I asked. 

"I'll tell him to come at 8 before I close, you be here by 7:30." He replied. 

"Sounds great, thank you."

"You're welcome, now go to sleep."

"Haha okay, goodnight,"

"Night,"

We both clicked and I settled down to sleep. By morning, there was a happy tingly sensation in my stomach. I just had to wait until 8 p.m. tonight. Hopefully Jason did go. I walked through the elevator doors going into Lydia's office. Luke was already in there. 

"We should just carpool. I mean we only live in the same house." I smiled. 

"I was gonna do that, but I don't like the way you drive." He winked. 

"What's wrong with the way I drive?" I placed my hands on my hips. 

"Oh nothing, nothing, if you're SpongeBob," I kicked his leg sitting down.

Lydia sat, waiting for our exchange to be over then she opened up her pile of orders. 

"This one is in Palos Verdes, the next one in Malibu then the last one in Pomona." 

She handed over the files telling us to go. When I took a little too long to get up Lydia slammed her ruler on the desk and ordered me out. Well damn, what the hell was her problem? As I walked out, I realized why. Jason and Bianca were coming over to Lydia's office. I didn't look at Jason out of fear that Scott would be able to read my plan. It had to work and making it look like we didn't care about each other in public had to be the way we went about it. Luke pressed for the down elevator. I yawned not having slept for most of the night. We walked into the garage where Luke insisted he wanted to drive. I wasn't even focused on the orders. I was kind of a robot these days.

The first order was for a 14-year-old girl. She got a little crazy with the knives, but she was easy to take down. One quick kick to the side sent her flying into the wall. The next order after that another girl, 21 years old, she was a little harder. She did punch me in the face, but I took her down with a slam into the wall. The wall was my best friend. The last order had me thinking that I wouldn't make my 7:30 deadline. It dealt with a guy, 6 feet tall, 220 pounds, and only 20 years old. He was a big guy and a weapons specialist who loved flinging knives. We were supposed to break into his house and trash the place as a warning. Easy enough order right? Not when he had a giant Doberman.