Chapter 13

Jason

It was 7:45 p. m. and I wasn't sure what was worse: the fact that I'd accepted a dinner date with an ex-girlfriend or the fact that I, Jason Snow, was being stood up. Our original time had been for 7. If she didn't get here soon, my name was going to be in more places than Starbucks again. The waiter had already been to the table 7 times and I was beginning to think that he had a bet going with the other waiters about how long I was going to stay.

"Sorry I'm late." a girl said.

Finally. Christina patted my shoulder sitting down across from me.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to show up." I said, picking up my glass of water.

"Marina and I were watching a movie." She explained.

If that had been my excuse when we were dating, I wouldn't have heard the end of it. The waiter came by raising brow when he realized my date showed up after all. I mentally rolled my eyes as he took our orders. Christina and I glanced at each other awkwardly as silence settled in. It'd been close to a year since we'd officially broken up. The only time I heard from her was when she was making herself out to be the victim and ultimate victor. Christina had, on more than one occasion, aired our dirty laundry bragging to the world that she had had me on my knees begging for her to stay. What made it worse was that it was true.

I picked at the breadbasket that had kept me company in her absence. She topped her acrylic nails on the table top before gathering my attention.

"Why did we break up?" she asked.

You caught me doing something you weren't supposed to catch me doing.

"I don't remember what happened, Jason. I just remember some kind of blur about me visiting you then we never spoke again. What did I do? I always tried to love you." She continued.

"Christina, don't. You were always accusing me of cheating-"

"You were with all those girls."

"I only had eyes for you, but you threw fits of jealousy whenever a girl dared breathe beside me."

She leaned back in the booth and crossed her arms. "You went to see a concert with that model." She argued.

"Paul invited me and she was there with her boyfriend. Her presence was out of my control." I explained.

"You didn't tell me you were going. I found out through the media."

"It was a night out with friends, not a date."

"You embarrassed me."

"Oh, and you haven't embarrassed me?"

Christina slowly lowered her eyes to the top of the table shifting indignantly. " I didn't know I had to check in with my ex before going out. I've already apologized incessantly for going out that night despite the fact that I didn't take anyone, but you continue to slander me, stop it."

Christina took in a calming breath, running a hand through her hair.

"It took you an hour to get out of the restroom at the hotel." she said, changing the subject.

"Why are you watching me?"

"I wasn't watching you. I just happened to notice it took you almost an hour to leave."

"What's your point here, Christina?"

"Nothing, I just remember that you used to take long in the bathroom when we were together too."