Chapter 19

Jason

What the hell was Alyssa doing here?  Was she one of the Innocents, or maybe she was an agent... No she looked like an Innocent.

"Alyssa?" I turned, still not really believing that she was here.

"Jason?" she also questioned in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" we both said at the same time chuckling nervously.

"I'm staying with my aunt." she smiled, placing the envelopes on the counter for the postmaster.

He slipped them off beginning to process them. "I didn't know you have family in Canada."

"My aunt moved up here last year. What are you doing here?"

Uh...

"All finished Miss Winters, you tell Miss Chambers not to let that ex-husband of hers get to her." the postmaster cut in. Thank god.

"Thank you and I definitely will." Alyssa turned back to me saying goodbye.

I managed a nod watching her leave the post office. Well don't leave. "Uh, Alyssa, wait!" I said, okay more like I cried it out and grabbed her arm.

She looked at my hand then raised her eyes to mine. I let go hoping I hadn't accidentally hurt her then cleared my throat switching over to my cool Jason. You know, calm Jason, manly Jason.

"Would you like to get some coffee, or something?" It was an actual fear that she was going to say no. Jason, be a man.

"Sure."

I turned to the postmaster catching a teasing expression lingering on his face.

"We're just friends." I told him once she'd stepped outside.

This seemed like the perfect opportunity. Her boyfriend wasn't here, she was up here visiting family; the town was not that far from Darling. Alyssa didn't know this place, at all, meaning I could show her around, and that way, we could get to know each other a lot, lot better. I opened the car door for her then slid into the driver's seat turning over the ignition.

"So what coffee place are we going to?" she asked.

"The only one worth going to," I replied.

"Great, I love Starbucks."

I glazed my eyes over to her to see she had a huge smile on her face.

"I'm talking about Tim Horton's." I corrected.

"I should tell your mother."

"Please don't tell my mommy."

She laughed shaking her head at me. I pulled up in front of the Tim Horton's in Darling, which was coincidentally across the street from my mom's bakery.

Alyssa stared at the bakery then turned to me.

"Original Sweet Nothings Bakery, that's right, this is where you're from..." I nodded; looking towards the bakery I practically grew up in.

"Yeah, this is the original bakery."

"Can we go in?"

"Um... my parents sort of don't know I'm back in town. I'm staying with my grandparents. It's probably not such a good idea right now."

"That's okay, Tim Horton's will do."

"Tim Horton's will do? Starbucks still has you in their claws."

She smiled pulling me towards the door. I put my hand on the glass and extended my other arm out telling her to go in. The door swooshed quietly behind me, coming to a slow stop when two older women made their way over to exit. Trying to be a kind gentleman, I turned back to the door to get it for them, just as someone opened it and slammed me headfirst. The whole wall rattled causing everyone to turn and look at me.