Chapter 82

Jason's cologne was still emanating from my dress on the way home. It was to my luck that Lydia didn't get too close to me. I spent the rest of the night with friends and my parents. The ball dragged on to three in the morning before the room started to clear out. Julie had fallen asleep in my arms already. The trooper made it to midnight. I would have left, but I had my parents with me. I carried Julie to the car setting her down gently in the backseat. There was this joyous feeling growing inside of me. It wasn't much that we shared just a hug and simple conversation. But just having physical contact, a kiss on the hand... It felt good. Once home, I changed into some pajamas. After taking off my dress, I lifted it up to my nose breathing in the scent.

I wouldn't be dry cleaning that dress any time soon. The moment could have lasted longer if Lydia hadn't shown up. Who knows what she would have done. She'd changed since the incident. She was treated me like I was some usual screw up. She'd changed her behavior from the moment I awoke at the hospital. And judging from Jason's face, he'd never experienced that with Scott either. The roses Jason had gotten for me were sitting on the nightstand. As far as everyone else was concerned, they were from a stranger, yet perhaps they just didn't want to say his name. What happened tonight could never happen again. I knew it was nothing huge, or even bad what we had done, but if we were keeping it a secret it couldn't be good.

***

Jason

Seeing her in that dress made me tingle and that was why I made the move to see her alone. I knew she was happy to see me. She practically jumped into my arms. I could have held her all night, but reality always had a way of showing up with a slap in the face. Kissing her hand was really the only form of affection other than a hug that I could have given her. If Lydia had caught us, she'd probably have mounted our asses up on the wall as a decoration. I should've made the bold move of kissing her, but like I said to her, I was afraid. It wouldn't have been just one kiss. No, and Lydia would definitely have caught us.

Tomorrow I would have to sulk over their decision, but tonight my heart was lighter than it had been the last month. We actually talked, about nothing really and for only a brief time, but it felt great. The only problem with doing something and getting away with it was that you wanted to do it again. And what happened tonight was just mere luck that we didn't get caught. It could never happen again. I changed into more comfortable clothes and turned out the light going to sleep. The smell of cocoa butter was still present in my nose and carried me off. By 7:30 a.m. of the next morning, I was stepping off the elevator onto the 56th floor. Scott summoned me into his office asking me to close the door. It surprised me that Alyssa wasn't already in there and neither was Lydia. 

"That ball dragged on longer than I imagined." he said rubbing his eyes. 

Scott was not a partier. 

"It did last longer." I replied.

Scott flipped through an order then his office door opened. Bianca walked in slowly as if she were unsure of where she was supposed to be. 

"Jason, this is Bianca Chamberlain she is your new partner. Bianca, this is Jason Snow, he is your new partner." 

Bianca sat down not saying anything. 

My new partner; what in the hell did that mean?

"Oh Bianca, could you deliver this to Lydia? We will be over there shortly." 

She nodded taking the file. As she left, Scott's face turned a little darker. 

"Lenient punishment, do you not agree?" he asked. 

"Lenient punishment for what?" I tried to suppress my growing anger. 

"Get enough fresh air last night?"