Chapter 70

Alyssa

I'd been sitting at the window for close to an hour. The sky had fallen dark so quickly. Everyone was still downstairs, but I couldn't go out yet, so I lied down again curling up into a little ball. My body ached with unknown pains. There was nothing even wrong with me, but everything felt wrong. My dad was really dead? Every time I went to sleep I woke up to the same horrible discovery. The GFA had so violently murdered my dad. I rubbed my chest feeling my heart throb with pain. I just wanted to disappear and leave all the pain inside me behind. My mom knocked on the door, but I didn't even bother to reply. My voice felt weak and faint. I squeezed my eyes shut trying to shake off the images of torture floating through my head. I imagined the sounds of the knives cutting his flesh; they probably beat him with weapons. It made it so much worse to know that he had been tortured. They couldn't even give him a dignified death. A masculine voice muffled through the wood then the knob turned and a figure walked in.

"Alyssa, baby."

Jason. He felt around my bed for my leg then crawled into the bed beside me.

The mattress sunk, pulling me to the center where he had lied down. Jason wrapped an around me hugging me to his body. A sob escaped me at his touch.

"Its okay." he cooed, pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"It's not." I squeaked in a tiny voice.

"It will be okay."

His voice was soft and sweet. I rolled over in his hold pressing my face into his chest. He wrapped me up in a tighter hug, placing his chin on the top of my head.

"It's alright baby, cry it out." He whispered.

"No, because when you leave I'll just be left crying alone." I snapped.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying right here with you."

He smoothed his hand up and down my back softening the shudders still vibrating through my body.

"I don't want to be weak." Jason lifted my face, wiping the tears off my cheeks.

"It's okay to be weak. I won't tell anyone."

My heart clenched beginning to throb painfully again.

"Go so sleep, I won't let anyone come in."

"...Okay."

I closed my eyes, relaxing my muscles for a second. But then images of my dad flooded me. They were laced with torture and pain. I couldn't remember what he was like before, all I could see was his mutilated body. Jason saw him die; he saw what I could only imagine. Whoever did this, had to pay with their life. I struggled to find a comfortable position and turned over several times. It was probably bothering Jason, but he didn't say a word. Instead he would settle back into his position whenever I moved. He had been the only one to force his way in here, but then again, when had he not been persistent? I pulled his arm up closer to my chest. They didn't kill him, but they scarred him.

A tremor full of hate vibrated through my body. The GFA deserved to fall and turn to dust in the hands of the IIA. Hate was no a strong enough word, for what I felt for them. I abhorred them. Perhaps that was enough, but even then it felt weak.

Jason laced his hand with mine, putting our hands on the pillow. His chest would rise up and down with every breath. He was so calm. I wanted to be like him. I was a mess. He squeezed my palm, running his thumb over my skin. He hummed to me, slipping his leg in between mine. The heaviness of sleep came over me the more he hummed. Jason kicked the covers off of us, whispering a goodnight as he kissed my temple. I squeaked a response taking in a deep breath. What would I do without him? I drifted off, but I was better off awake than asleep. My surroundings changed, this was a dream. The dreams already...