Chapter 58

Jason

Tonight was my dinner with Mr. Winters. He had personally invited me by telephone to come to his home and have dinner after returning from Darling. Maybe Alyssa had something to do with it, but I was happy to try again.

The IIA was to remain shut down for two more days, so the timing was impeccable. Not to mention that Ryan and Kyle had come down to stay with me for a few days. With the small time frame we'd had in Darling, we hadn't seen much of each other.

My palms were sweating by the time I had made it to Mr. Winters' front door. Alyssa was not going to be there so that didn't help with the nerves. I'd dressed in one of my best suits that I only wore to my most important business meetings, so he had better like it. I lifted my fist and rapped it against the door. What truly had my nerves on edge, was the fact that Mr. Winters was a licensed killer and I wasn't an Innocent. There was nothing protecting me from him.

He opened the door dressed as sharply as the knife he'd probably kill me with if I ever dared to hurt Alyssa. He smiled politely and invited me in. His staff was busy in the kitchen preparing our dinner. We sat down as he called out to one of his maids. She brought in an ice bucket with a bottle chilling inside of it and two glasses.

Mr. Winters thanked her, popping the cork as he explained that this was a 1985 California Cabernet Sauvignon. This was the wine he was going to give Alyssa on her 21st birthday. He placed my glass in front of me pouring himself one too. Maybe this was a bad idea to drink in front of him. He knew I wasn't 21 yet. He looked at me as I hesitated to pick up the glass. Mr. Winters chuckled, assuring me that he already knew I drank. He'd seen me do it in Darling. I slowly took up the glass and took a small sip.

"Okay kid, let's cut to the chase, what are your intentions with my daughter?" he asked.

I was about to take a big risk.

"I can't tell you that. You'd want to kill me. "

He blinked, making me almost regret saying that until he grinned then broke into a chuckle.

"Very nice Jason. She and I share the same sense of humor so you're lucky."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Now, answer the question," he said.

"To be very honest with you Mr. Winters, I see very long-term with her. I love her... She's very special to me, and I go out of my way to make sure that she's safe and comfortable with me... I wanted to give her this."

I pulled out a little black box and slid it over to him. He opened it cautiously, probably thinking it was an engagement ring. He lifted up the platinum locket suspended on a silver chain. He opened it, reading the engraving.

"Is this..." he trailed off and I nodded.

Mr. Winters replaced the locket sliding the box back to me. I put it back into my jacket pocket, taking up my glass again. His staff entered with our dinner on trays. They placed a New York steak with green beans and cheesy potatoes in front of us both. Mr. Winters and I thanked them as they disappeared back into the kitchen. I took the first bite, complimenting his chef's work. He thanked me, taking a bite himself.

For the first few minutes, we ate in silence, but Mr. Winters cut it by asking about my path to the IIA. I told him the story in fuller detail than I had told Ryan and Alyssa.

"You know, it's possible that they were eyeing your mom. Usually when they've been watching you since birth, it's because you come from a prodigy line, like I did and Alyssa. In your case, I believe the IIA was going to approach your mom and when she got pregnant, you became target." He said.