Chapter 22

Jason

After stuffing ourselves with Girl Scout cookies, I dropped her back off at the hospital. I gave her a light hug as she thanked me for the food and the walk. That kind of made her sound like a puppy. Then I realized we'd crossed that barrier. She seemed unfazed by the hug and went inside Chris' room. "Uh, your phone isn't working is it?" I asked.

"No it's been on airplane mode since I left, why?"

"Well, I was wondering if maybe you'd like to go out tonight. Not as a date, more of a friendly thing."

"Where are we going?"

"An ice rink."

"... Um, sure, uh, this is my aunt's address."

"I'll see you tonight."

I walked all the way to a little bed and breakfast that looked like a cottage straight out of a Disney movie. Tracy Daniels was the runner and a member of the protections commission. The actual commissioner was somewhere hidden in the town and rumored to be housing Agent 96 and 93. They wouldn't tell me who she was. All they said was that she was a woman too. I opened the front door to the bed and breakfast politely saying hello to the people inside having lunch. Miss Daniels called me into the kitchen where she had a plate ready for me. I thanked her sitting down in the dining room.

She took a seat resting her chin on her fist staring at me. I knew I was extremely good looking, but damn woman. I made awkward eye contact with her 6 times as I ate the sandwich. When I finished, she picked up my plate and came in with a slice of cake. I thanked her again taking the fork in my hand. Her son came into the dining room asking for something to eat.

"In the kitchen, go."

Miss Daniels told him, not breaking her concentration on me. I took the last bite bringing the plate with me to drop it off in the sink.

"Sit." she finally spoke.

My butt obediently shot right back into the chair. I started playing with my fingers hoping she'd let me go... wait a minute. I was a grown man. I did not have to sit here. I stood up pushing my chair in when, "I said sit."

Yes ma'am. "Look at me." I raised my eyes to her.

"I heard you had a girl with you." She asked.

"What is this Little House on the Prairie? How did you know?"

"We're a small town, we gossip more than a knitting circle."

"She's a friend." I said.

"How do you know her?" She sounded borderline aggressive.

"Why, do you like her?"

"How do you know her?"

"I met her at a party."

"What's her name?"

"Alyssa."

She continued to stare at me. "Winters," I breathed getting a little annoyed with her. She sat up straight clearing her throat quietly.

"Alyssa Winters... Miss Chambers' niece," I nodded.

"How nice," Miss Daniels sounded strained.

She stood pushing her chair in then placed her hands on her hips looking at me.

"Don't bring her around here." She warned.

"What's the issue?" I asked.

"Her aunt and I do not agree on some things, for example her husband."