Chapter 68

Jason

We went back to my place where I set her up with towels and a laundry service. While she showered, I hurried out to the store to buy her new clothes. There was no way she was going to fit into mine and I didn't want Lydia to give her shit since we were going to The Den. Ryan and Alyssa were already having breakfast by the time I had returned. She was wearing a T-shirt of mine, and a pair of my running pants. I set the bag on the counter thanking Ryan for cooking for us.

He nodded with a mouthful of food, and slid my plate over. Alyssa took up the last bite thanking Ryan, then me, before running upstairs to change into her clothes. Now, shopping for women was hard: either she was going to get mad at me because I chose clothes too small or because I chose them too big.

"How was the night out?" Ryan asked.

"It was great. I think I've made up about what happened." I replied. "

I'm happy for you, bro. You look happy."

"I really am and I can't believe I haven't screwed this up worse."

"Haha, you're gonna be fine, just bake her a cake."

Goodness knew that's all it took to please that woman. Ryan looked at his watch realizing he was late for school. I wished him a good day picking my fork. Alyssa hopped down draping her arms over my shoulders to kiss my cheek.

"Thank you for the clothes, they fit perfectly." She smiled.

Oh thank god. I dumped my dirty dishes in the sink and grabbed my keys. There was never a more exciting time than when I was able to drive to The Den. It was like arriving in paradise, a safe haven for who I truly was inside. I was sure Alyssa felt the same, especially since her eyes always lit up and shined with joy at the sight of The Den.

Everything looked pristine as we went through the process of identification. That, however, was not what we experienced as the elevator doors opened up to the 56th floor. We were met with a frenzied state and that could only mean that the GFA was up to something the IIA didn't like.

I looked to the conference room, confirming my suspicions. All 60 Ground Masters were seated inside, each wearing a more worried or angrier expression than the person beside them. The secretaries were staring into the room, faces creased in anxiety.

Alyssa and I decided the best move would be to patiently wait outside if Lydia's office. It took an hour before they finally exited the conference room and returned to their duties. Lydia and Scott ordered us into the office without so much as a greeting. With no questions asked, we parked it on the two chairs in front of Lydia's desk.

Scott sighed heavily while taking a seat. Lydia cleared her throat and looked at us.

"It has happened again. The Grand Federal Association is stirring up trouble, leaving us no choice. Jason, you and Nathaniel Winters are leaving for Brisbane, Australia today at 10:30 a.m. to handle an order crucial to our organization. You are part of a 15-member team. However, the mission relies on you two. Be careful and be effective."

I looked at Alyssa, whom was already panic stricken.

"How dangerous is this?" she asked Lydia.

"Miss Winters, you know how dangerous this is, but do believe that we are sending the best men we have." she replied.

"Is it only men you're sending?"

"Yes, this is no job for a lady." Scott interrupted.

The shift in the room was palpable as Alyssa furrowed her brows and settled into an indignant expression.