Chapter 37

Alyssa

My dad's house had never looked so daunting. He was the typical over protector, but what made my dad a little scarier than most was that he was licensed to kill. Working for the IIA meant that we didn't exist the way other people did and that also meant we could make other people disappear and no one could do anything about it. I opened the front door calling out to my dad. He was also paranoid so that meant he was the type to jump out at you blasting some heat. I wandered in the living room calling out again. Goodness dad, why was your house such a mess?

I set my purse down and set out to wash the dishes, wipe down the stove and counters. Then made his bed, threw in a load of laundry, washed the bathroom, and vacuumed the entire house. I picked up the living room and finally cleaned everything made of the glass.

My dad was happiest at dinner time. Like me he loved food, and I needed him to be in a good mood for what I was about to tell him. His favorite dish was spaghetti so by 8:30, it all pulled together. I sat down at the counter reading Jason's whiny texts about the boring life he led at the office. The lock on the front door opened and someone walked in. The next sound was the click of the hammer to a Beretta. Dad's home!

"Dad, it's just me." I called.

He stepped into the kitchen relaxing the gun.

"When the alarm didn't go off I worried."

He set it on the counter then came to kiss me on the cheek and give me a hug.

"I made you dinner." I smiled.

"What did you do?"

"Nothing haha,"

What can I say? He knew me well. I stood to serve him a plate and one for myself too while he went to get more comfortable. By comfortable he meant no tie and jacket. My dad didn't know the true meaning of relaxing. He took a seat in front of his steaming plate.

"My favorite! Seriously, what did you do?"

I laughed digging in on my plate. "How was work?" I asked.

"I spent the entire day staking a man out." he replied. "But, I haven't seen you in a week. Your mom told me that you went on vacation."

His fatherly tone told me he already knew whom I had gone with.

"Dad I have to tell you something."

He nodded.

"Nick and I broke up."

"Really? Oh god finally, lemme get some wine."

Yeah, it was like. He came back pouring himself a glass of wine.

"What happened?" he asked taking a sip.

"He was cheating."

"Damn idiot." He grumbled.

"There's something else."

"It wasn't with a guy was it?"

"That would've been a weaker blow."

The realization quickly imprinted on his face.

"I'll kill him."

My throat ran dry. Promoting me to shake my head vigorously.

"He laid his hands on you, how did he hit you?" he demanded heatedly.

"... He gave me the back of his hand." I answered, hoping he wouldn't quite hear.

"Get in the car." My dad shoved his chair in, grabbing his Beretta off the counter.