Chapter 38

In the two weeks after I'd gotten back from San Diego, the GFA had hacked into our database again and was stealing our orders. All international agents were working overtime to get things done quickly, while higher level agents were targeting GFA agents. We shut them down within a week, but it almost seemed as though they were playing with us. They were climbing the ranks and were already up to number two in the Syndicate.

No one wanted to admit it, but the GFA was stronger than before. Their hackers were never this good and their agents never their bold. I was on high alert every time I completed a mission. If the situation wasn't strange enough, my schedule never seemed to interfere with Jason's. In fact, he was busy at the same time I was. Luck was on my side, I guess.

The official high alert had ended at the IIA and we were told to relax. The parents were out for dinner and Chris was out with friends, so I had the house to myself. Jason was set to come over to watch movies with me, and my parents were sure to give me the no-getting-frisky talk before they left.

I was sitting on the sofa with my legs propped up comfortably when suddenly a loud bang rattled the front door. The agent in me kicked in before my normal senses could react. I stood, sliding my switchblade out of my back pocket and made my way over. There was no one on the porch as I opened it, not even a mosquito. I shut the door again, turning on my heels when the same sound came from the window this time.

Was Lydia trying to get my attention or something? A firm knock came from the front door. Alright, this time I'd be ready. I turned the lock, standing away from the door. The knob turned and the hinges creaked as someone pushed the door open. Two figures entered wearing black masks. What the hell? I stepped back hitting the creaky spot on the wooden floor. They snapped their heads in my direction. The shorter one suddenly lunged at me, but I caught their shoulders hurling them over the couch. Their hood fell off revealing long blonde hair. A girl?

She got to her feet quickly jumping towards me. Without missing a beat I wrestled her into a chokehold. She struggled against me, kicking her legs up and beating my arms with her fists. I held firm until she passed out then I ripped off the mask, gasping in pure shock. Angelina. But then that meant...

"You dared me; and here I am," the second, taller figure said, taking off the mask.

"... Nick, I've been waiting for you." I replied, regaining my composure.

"Good,"

He charged at me falling victim to my back kick. He hit the floor as I dragged Angelina to the other side of the couch to get her out of the way. Nick staggered to his feet throwing a punch, which was blocked. He grabbed my arm throwing me over the couch. He loomed over me pulling my head back with my hair. Nick rammed it forward into the coffee table where I used my wrists to stop the pending blow. I kicked at both his ankles making him fall into a splits then gave him the back of my hand.

I hauled him up by his shirt shoving him into the wall then threw him back on the floor where he belonged. Nick shook himself off, taking slow steps towards me. He swung left, but went right immediately and grabbed my hair thrusting me onto the floor. He straddled me slapping me. My face stung immediately after contact. I junk punched him making him groan throatily then kicked his face to the side.

Blood oozed from his nose onto his shirt. He sucked in a breath standing up and shoved me into the wall knocking over a glass vase that shattered on the wood floor. I lunged grabbing his free wrist. Nick cried out in pain, falling on his butt as I bent it backward. He jabbed at my shins to grab the roots of my hair with his newly freed hands. Before I could react, his fist beat against my face once, twice, three times. I squeezed my eyes shut refusing to let a sound escape me. He stood up dragging me by the hair into the wall. I rolled onto my side holding my face as he stepped away with pride in his movements. He flipped me back over with his foot then put it to my neck adding enough pressure to make me start sweating.