Chapter 46

Jason smiled taking my face in his hands.

"No one is going to hurt us. The IIA would never let them forget it if they did." He said.

He opened his arms to me, such an enticing proposition.

"Lydia and Scott assigned us as partners and it's because they trust us. This is a good thing. We're a good thing."

Somehow with hearing that, my stomach began to uncurl. I timidly walked into his embrace feeling him kiss the top of my head. This was the problem with paranoia.

"Jason?" I looked up at him. "I'm sorry I lied to you about this." I said.

"You had a good reason and I understand what you were trying to do here too, but we'll be okay. We're their prodigies. We have never let anything come between us and our dedication to the Syndicate." he assured.

"And I-I do feel the same way too."

He paused studying my face, then smiled a wide, elated smile. He lowered his face kissing my lips softly at first. He pressed me tighter to him adding desire and affection. I curled my arm around his neck growing weaker at the knees. He smiled as he drew away to remove his wallet from his pocket. He flashed me his ID proving that he really was IIA. How did I never know what Agent 94 looked like?

"That's a good cover up you have." I commented, as he replaced his wallet back in his pocket.

"Thank you." He answered with amusement twinkling in his eyes.

"You do okay." I flashed him my ID as well.

"I do okay? Sorry I can't hear you over the millions of people who enjoy my bakery."

I laughed, feeling my stomach uncurl just a little more. "It's your mother's bakery, but how do you keep it all a secret?" I asked.

Jason sighed and leaned against the desk, pricking finger along the stray object sitting atop of it.

"My billet family was IIA. They helped me transition into this life, helped me with school, and covering with my family. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have been as successful as I am now. I owe them a lot."

"So your real family still doesn't know?"

"No, they're safer if they remain Innocents."

I nodded.

"How is it that you carry out your orders and remain unidentified?" I asked.

He smirked, and pulled out a long, thin, silver pen from the inside of his tux jacket. "Wipes away the memory,"

I smiled, and began thinking of other questions.

"What about Christina?"

He shrugged his shoulders asking, "What about Christina?"

"Does she know?"

He held up the pen again, letting out a chuckle.

"So she did know." I observed and he nodded.

"She caught me in a very compromising position with an order," he began.

"Jason, you're supposed to put down your orders not have fun with them."

He pursed his lips adding, "It was a guy."

I raised an eyebrow, further teasing him.

"What happened?" I asked.

"It was the day she was supposed to come over to my house. I told you she never showed, but she did. I was fighting the order and she caught me injecting him. She ran away from me and wouldn't talk to me for a few days. She completely fell off the face of the planet, but there was no way I could leave her with all that information. She'd tell for sure. I was surprised that she didn't tell anyone in the timespan I couldn't find her. I tracked her down and when I found her, instead of explaining, I just wiped away her memory and never spoke to her again. She knows nothing about this."