Chapter 3

Alyssa

The morning sun peeked in through my bedroom window and gently coaxed my eyes to open. There were two messages waiting for me on my phone: one from my dad, and the other from Nick. I opened my dad's first since I wanted to make sure that everything had gone smoothly: another successful order. I next opened Nick's, smiling softly as I read:

Nick: Good morning beautiful :) How was the party last night?

I sighed, lazily nestling deeper into my cushioned bed while thumbing a reply. My muscles were aching with big purple bruises forming on my arms. I set my phone down, noticing Jason's card on my nightstand.

Thank goodness I had to escort him or I'd be wishing for brain bleach again. But what was he doing at my dad's party? He never invited Innocents and I was always assigned to the older agents. The whole arrangement had started 70 years earlier when the rival organization, The GFA, was actively targeting higher-ranking agents. They'd fallen off the map about 7 years ago and escorts were no longer needed, but the tradition stuck so I had no choice but to join in. My eyes drifted towards my clock. It was almost nine!

I crawled off my bed waddling to the bathroom in pain. The hot water relaxed my aching body while I contemplated life, you know, shower stuff. I stepped out and examined my bruises in the mirror, sighing at their size and color. Fresh ones had formed on my stomach. I lightly touched it yelping, okay bad idea. I slipped on a long sleeve shirt feeling like the flames of hell were licking my arms. Down in the kitchen, Chris was sitting with a bowl of cereal in front of him. For the past two months we'd been home alone since our parents, my mom and his dad, were off in New Jersey. They were crypto zoologists and were studying the Jersey Devil, although that was a cover for the fact that they were working a stationary mission.

Last night hung over us in sleepiness. We'd gotten in close to 3 in the morning and falling asleep after knowing someone was killed, even if they deserved it, wasn't as easy as it sounded. Chris took a bite out of his toast, taking note of my poor choice of clothes.

"Is it bad this time?" he asked.

I rolled up my sleeves slowly, wincing as I uncovered the damage.

"I'm sure they look worse."

"They better."

"You're a good agent kid."

I laughed shaking my head. Back in the academy, if we complained about bruises and pains, our training officers would pat us on the shoulder and say, "You're a good agent kid."

"How was the escort experience?" Chris asked.

"It was fine." I replied, yawning and swirling my spoon in my bowl.

"Was it awkward after my little meddling?"

"No you jerk, everything was just fine." I grinned.

He looked up at me with a smirk. "Do tell dear sister."

There was nothing to hide about Jason, but Chris was such a pain in the ass he'd find something to tease about.

"He suggested we go somewhere else and since he's an Innocent, I accepted." I told him.

"Because you're so protective, right? What happened?"

"We went to Nitro and talked, danced a little." I shrugged.

"Danced a little? Elaborate please."

"We danced a little." I insisted.

"That's it?"