Chapter 41

Alyssa

I couldn't believe my dad! Out of all the boyfriends he'd ever met, he had to go and do that to Jason. My emotions were all over the place, but one thing was clear, I was angry. I'd tried talk to Jason last night, but I knew that anything I said had to be said in person, so I invited him out to coffee. My dad was... complicated. I'd spent the whole night thinking about what had happened, especially about that moment in the kitchen where it became clear that there was a possibility that I... loved him. However, analyzing my feelings was one of the worst things for me, so I went where I felt the best—Nitro.

I stopped at home to change into another dress, then headed back to my car to go to Nitro. The club was blasting, vibrating with every synth, snare, and drop. The bouncers let me in as soon as they saw me approaching. I walked up to the bar sitting down. Jack spotted me, filling a glass with my usual. He set it in front of me then leaned over the counter asking what was wrong. I shook my head, taking the glass. Jack waved to someone then tapped the area in front of me to get my attention. He motioned for me to follow him as he slipped his leather jacket over him. I followed him out to his car where he suggested we go out for coffee instead. I climbed in, sitting back.

"I figured that just sitting there wouldn't do you any good." He said.

"Jack, when you were younger and you went to meet a girlfriend's dad, did he ever tell you that you were a bad influence and that you were his worst nightmare?" I asked, getting right to it.

"Ouch... yeah, my father-in-law did actually. Diane and I had been dating for about a month. He told me I was going to ruin her life because the only thing I was doing was going to Bartending School and that wasn't a real future. Did this happen to you or something?"

I sighed heavily.

"Yeah, tonight, my dad just laid into my boyfriend." I said.

"Mmm, well dads just don't like their daughter's boyfriend's most of the time."

He pulled into a Starbucks and we went inside. Jack ordered for the both of us then we sat down by the window.

"These bruises are from my ex-boyfriend. My new boyfriend, he's the complete opposite of Nick and I know he'd never hurt me. Yes, that is a huge cliche, but I really like him, I think I might even, love him."

I felt myself start to blush as Jack smiled.

"Aww, how cute." he cooed causing my blush to intensify.

"He's not my first boyfriend, but he's making me feel like all this is new, and I'm not sure if I do love him." 

Our orders were called up and Jack went to get our tall double chocolatey chips.

"How long have you known each other?" he asked.

"Almost three months,"

"Does he know about you?"

I shook my head. "No, not yet."

He hmmed:

"What?" I asked.

"With Nick you made it clear you would never tell him, but this new guy, it sounds like it might slip out."

Hmm.

"He seems trustworthy, but he could get hurt, and I don't want that.

"Well Missy, only you know if you love him. Infatuation is always the first stage. Just nurture the feeling a little more and take it at your pace."