Chapter 60

Omniscient

Lydia and Scott had left not 2 minutes earlier and were barely just to the official car, when they heard the sound of a firearm. Both of them had studied to be forensic scientists while they served their term in high school and had become ballistics specialists. They knew that was a Taurus firearm and knew it was close. At a time like this, the only people who would be in danger of a gun, were their prodigies. They pulled back the hammers on their own guns running towards the ambulance entrance where Jason and Alyssa were supposed to have gone.

The seconds were ticking like hours to them, the parking lot they were in was just a couple of feet away from the entrance, but it might as well have been across the country. They shoved aside a responding paramedic who had also heard the gunshots. On the asphalt lied 7 bodies, all still and not the slightest hint of life in them. Not even the rise and fall of their breathing could be detected. Scott and Lydia looked into the ambulance to see that Luke was alright, but still unconscious and one of the EMT's had been shot in the arm. He had protected Luke's life. The second EMT was on a radio, calling for help as he knelt down before one of the bodies.

This suddenly became a revenge plot with Lydia and Scott. More paramedics rushed through, trying to help the 7 victims lying unconscious. Were they dead? That was unknown information. Lydia spotted the fake director running down the hall with black powder clinging to his clothes. Lydia and Scott walked at a steady pace, they were going to get him, that was a given. Lydia and Scott turned into another hallway that looked more like a creepy corridor belonging to a mental asylum. There on the floor, having tripped on his own clothes laid 'Director Westbrook.'

What a disgrace to the name; Director Westbrook had been loved and respected among all the organizations. Lydia pressed her heel into his back making him yelp from the pain.

"That is what it would feel like if a bullet slowly enter your body." Lydia said, pressing harder.

"Do you know who you have just tried to kill?" Scott asked, coming around so that his shoes faced 'Director Westbrook' right in between the eyes.

"Tried? I would not leave without making sure their little hearts were not beating."

"How funny, because that is what we are going to do."

Two shots exploded in the hallway at the same time. They echoed off the corridor walls as a sound that marked the second death of Director Westbrook. The next sonance to break the sound barrier was the light clicking of Lydia's heels through the thick blood coming from his head. She and Scott returned to the ambulance entrance to find the 7 bodies had been moved already into emergency surgery. Lydia and Scott tried to maintain stoic faces. They needed to be strong in a situation like this. Their prodigies, two of their agents, a fellow Ground Master, and the innocent parents of one of their agents had just been shot. What if they died? This would resort in an immediate and all-out war between the IIA and the GFA. And, because they would have killed two of their prodigies and a Ground Master, the IIA would not stop until the GFA came to their knees.

This was not a game. If the GFA wanted to live, they have better hoped the 7 did. Scott accompanied Luke to Masterson Memorial to make sure he made it well. Meanwhile, Lydia stayed in the waiting room by herself, waiting until the surgeries were over. She sent a message to Daniel Garcia, Chris' Ground Master so she could inform him of the tragedies that had just taken place. It was November 28th; the day Agent 96, Agent 94, Agent 28, Agent 47, Agent 17, and Mr. and Mrs. Hennessey could die. This would be a tragic day.

Within 40 minutes, Chris burst through into the waiting room with Daniel behind him. A few seconds later Alex Parker also came from an elevator down the hall. At the same time Mr. Winters rushed in, in a panic. Within the next 20 minutes, Ryan arrived, frantically demanding answers, but Lydia had none to give them. Chris was now in a silent state, there were so many people he cared about on the verge of dying. Mr. Winters was becoming distraught, dissolving into tears. His only daughter could very well die. And, although he was no longer married, he still cared deeply for his ex-wife, and Matthew was still his best friend.