Chapter 30

Ever since I'd graduated college, I rarely kept track of the date, let alone the day of the week. I worked every single day, but the calendar was only a constant reminder after my fight with Nick. It kept nagging at me that we hadn't spoken for 10 days. He'd ignore my messages and I'd ignore his. If he ever came over, someone in the house would turn him away. We could never find a moment where we could talk about this. I was too angry and Lydia had me working overtime. In a week and a half, I'd been to Canada and back 12 times and to Mexico and back 14 times. 58 missions in a week and a half including local orders, I was completely exhausted.

I literally dragged myself through the threshold of the house to the living room where my mom was preparing herself for an order. She smiled down at me and kissed my cheek leaving through the front door. Mommy help! The midnight hour had come and my legs were aching since that last order made me run after him, jerk. I groaned struggling to get up. Meh, the floor was comfortable enough. The sweet, delicious aroma of bacon awoke me from my curled up position in the afternoon. I somehow managed to get up the stairs to wash up then flounced into the kitchen, stopping short at the sight of a vase with a dozen red roses on the counter. Chris rolled his eyes confirming my suspicions of who had sent them.

He plucked out the note tucked into the arrangement and gave it to me.

We've avoided each other long enough and I think it's time we had a talk. If you accept, I'll be by tonight at 7 to take you out to dinner at your favorite place.

I love you, Nick

I looked at Chris, but he only shrugged making a weight settle over my chest. Where was my magic 8-ball?

I grabbed my phone to text Nick, but found a message from Lydia.

Lydia: you're needed for an order tonight at midnight. Wear all black and bring the mask you were given at the treaty signing

Me: yes, ma'am

Yes! I didn't have to make the decision!

Me: Nick, I can't tonight, another night

Chris served me up a bacon and cheese sandwich, awakening the starving whale living in my stomach. I spent the rest of the day binge watching Netflix. When midnight came close, I slipped into my car wearing the black clothes Lydia wanted and headed over to the Den. The floor was empty and mostly dark except for the light coming from Lydia's office. She was standing at her door waiting for me. When she saw me approaching, she put her hand up and motioned for me to place my mask on and not say a single word as we entered. Inside was Scott and another guy dressed all in black with a similar mask. He was tall and well-built with black hair and a gentle eye expression. Lydia came around to stand next to me and turned to the two men. "Agent 96 meet Agent 94."

The Agent 94, the guy who protected me in Alexia, the guy who had stood at the number one spot with me for six years. I extended my hand out to timidly shake his. He failed to respond with words and instead shook my hand with a delicate firmness. Scott cut the silence clearing his throat and told us to sit. Lydia took a seat with Scott standing beside her and flipped open a manila folder.

"Tonight we needed the two best we have. This mission involves pure silence, no talking whatsoever... You are going to a mental hospital and your presence must be practically nonexistent. Your assignment is to take out the entire security system meaning both surveillance and security guards. 96 you are surveillance; 94 you are the physical force."

He nodded, keeping dead silent. Why was he so quiet? His lack of communication skills, were intimidating. What if he was just some big hunk of a man with a peanut sized brain? But he couldn't, not if he was at the top of the rank. Lydia handed us a file designated for our assignment. We stood up about to leave when, "Hold it." Scott's voice vibrated with the utmost authority. 94 and I looked at each other before turning around.