Chapter 7

Alyssa

The lights in the theater dimmed as Nick slid his arm around me. He whispered a compliment before kissing my cheek with the gentleness he always had. I thanked him as he leaned down for a proper kiss. Luke suddenly cleared his throat causing Nick to pull away and give him a lightly irritated look. There was an odd mutual dislike between them. Something had happened a year ago that made Luke change towards Nick and whatever it was it made Nick submissive with Luke.

"Leave them alone." Trisha laughed, as he took a seat.

I reached over to Luke's popcorn bucket and caught a light out of the corner of my eye. Nick had a giant Cheshire cat grin on his face he replied to a message. I reached back into the bucket for another handful.

"Oh I'm sorry, would you like some popcorn?" Luke asked, pulling the bucket closer to him.

"I don't want to sound like a jealous girlfriend," I began.

Luke looked in Nick's direction and an uncomfortable expression grew on his face.

"Nick, the movie's that way bro." He said.

Nick nodded, but continued with the message. Okay, something was off here.

"It's my mom." Nick explained, but his body language begged to differ.

"Did something happen?" I asked.

"No."

He turned back to the movie screen chuckling. Luke and Trisha shrugged their shoulders, guess it was believable. Nick lowered the brightness of his screen, glancing at me out of the corner of his eyes. "Have you spoke to Jason?" he asked.

My stomach curled in guilt. Why would be ask that?

"Um, yeah he came over today." I answered.

"And?" His relaxed tone confused me. Was he angry or concerned?

"He returned an earring I lost," I didn't want to mention it was actually the necklace. "And was going to stay for lunch, but got sick."

"You were going to cook for him?"

"... It was nothing complicated."

He turned his body to fully face me and furrowed his brows. "I don't want you hanging out with him." He said.

"He didn't try anything." I assured.

"Not yet, and I don't trust him. I don't want you talking to him, alright?"

"Okay."

"I'm serious."

"Alright, I won't."

The lights dimmed and the message to lower your phones flashed on the screen. I checked the little switch on the side then slid it back in my pocket. As the credits rolled in, my and Luke's phone vibrated at the exact same time. We looked at each other, sneakily checking the messages. A target had been spotted in the mall next to the theater so we had to move fast before she left. I leaned in to whisper into Nick's ear that I was going to the bathroom, and stood up to leave. Luke followed close behind, making the excuse to Trisha that he was going to go buy more popcorn because I'd eaten it all. We searched for an empty restroom to call our Masters from. The women's restroom was full, typical, and the men's restroom was completely empty, typical.

"Can't we find an empty women's restroom?" I asked. Men peed visibly next to each other; they were savages.

"Right, because there's a place on this planet where the women's restroom is empty."