Chapter 59

Jason

Kyle's voice went through the wood of the door followed by a light knock. I didn't want to speak anyone right now. My mind was racing, replaying the images over and over again. It took a while, but I knew I hadn't seen the last of Nick and Alyssa. I trusted her. I was weak in front of her and she took advantage of it. I should have known better than to express my feelings for her. Kyle knocked again and I yelled at him to leave. He banged on the door, demanding I open the door immediately or he'd be knocking it down. I groaned in frustration and yanked it open glaring at him.

He rolled his eyes as he pushed his way into the room. Kyle and I had known each other our whole lives. There was little we could do to keep the other away and he knew it.

"You know she has a history with her boyfriend, this is not the first time he's come unannounced and uninvited to her house, but you still think that she'd cheat on you?" he asked, furrowing his brows in concern.

"I saw her, and—"

"You didn't let her explain. Do you know how upset she was right now?"

"No."

"She was in complete distress, then Paul goes down there, making everything worse. Why would you tell him? You know that he doesn't like her. All he did was make her feel bad."

My stomach curled. Paul was probably waiting for something like this. I didn't expect him to say anything to her. It wasn't like him to get involved in my relationships.

"her timing was terrible." I said.

"Her timing, his timing is terrible." he retorted.

"You're going to believe her over me?"

"No, but at least let her explain, you can't just jump to conclusions."

"I'm not. Don't even start taking her side on this!"

"I'm not taking anyone's side. What happened? Why are you so angry with her? It has to be more than just seeing her and her ex. " Kyle said.

I shook my head. He stood firmer in his stance and gave me a pressing look. My feelings weren't something I liked to put out in the open, especially when it made me look like a sap.

"... She told me she was in love with me and I admitted I was too. I gave her the key to the house because I wanted her to know that she was always welcome here and then this happens. She might still have feelings for him and one day, it's going to go beyond a kiss. What would have happened if I hadn't walked in at that moment?"

I rubbed my face, picturing the worst between them.

"Do you honestly think that she doesn't know how big this is for you? Or that this isn't big for her, too? Everyone knows about your last relationship. Don't make Alyssa pay for her mistakes. She's not making you pay for Nick's mistakes. You know her better than any of us... would she hurt you like that, especially when her breakup was so awful?" Kyle asked.

"Looks can be deceiving."

"She's pretty transparent; your insecurity can't get in the way of what you have with her."

"I'm not insecure." I protested.

"Oh no? So you see her with her ex-boyfriend and instead of letting her explain, you just run away? You shouldn't have done that in front of that asshole. You should have escorted him out of her house. She just met your family; do you really believe that she would pull a stunt like that? She loves you and you can't let her ex mess with you."

I shrugged.

"Talk to her and let her tell you what happened." Kyle firmly told me.

"Where is she now?" I asked.