Chapter 18

Alyssa

The sky was black with white glowing stars. The pilot and co-pilot carefully placed Chris into a wheelchair to wheel him to the escort vehicle. It was a big black Range Rover, with dark tinted windows. The driver shut both our doors, immediately locking them as he slid behind the wheel. Chris was still sound asleep under his medication, but whimpered every now and then from the pain of the ride. There was a car in front of us and a car behind us. The precautionary measures were a little unsettling. Just how dangerous was The GFA? The driver went on for what seemed like forever. I tried looking out of the window and managed to catch a sign that marked the Darling city limit. We weren't that far from the US border.

I would've thought they'd have put us deeper into Canada. The driver stopped smoothly after 10 more minutes. I heard the doors from the cars around us open, followed by the cocking of guns. My door was accessed, revealing dozens of Night Hounds dressed in dark clothing and Kevlar vests with caps and earpieces. One extended his hand out, helping me off of the car, introducing himself as John Montgomery. Two of the men carried Chris into his chair. They encircled us, marching off to our destination. They were so big I couldn't see even a little over their broad shoulders. Their flashlights lighted a small path in front of us.

Suddenly the clicking of hammers echoed through the circle as they relaxed their guns. John opened a door to a house and motioned for us to go in. There was a woman standing in the middle of the room with a double barrel shot gun to her side.

"Lilli--Miss Chambers , this is Agent 96 and 93." he said.

Miss Chambers looked at me. "You have a name, girl?" she asked, placing her hands on her hips.

She had light brown shoulder length hair, medium width hips, and big brown eyes.

"Alyssa Winters." I answered.

"And the boy?"

"Christopher Riverbed, but you may call him Chris."

She arched her eyebrow at me. "I may call him that? I have permission?"

"Yes, aren't you lucky?"

She snapped her fingers at the men, ordering them to leave. "Wait!" I called out to them, and John turned back to look at me.

"Yes, Miss Winters?" he asked politely.

"I have Chris' medical file here. He needs to be checked into a hospital."

John took the file from my hand glancing it over. "Okay, I'll take this over now and in the morning someone will come to pick him up."

"Someone?"

"Don't worry. We're all IIA here, and a few Innocents."

He looked at Miss Chambers who only scowled at him. Well she's joyous. John huffed shutting the door indignantly. "He's my soon-to-be ex-husband. Come along into the kitchen sweetie."

Come along into the kitchen sweetie?

"I'm really a nice person, it's just that that man right there makes my skin crawl." She said, placing a plate of cookies on the table in front of me.

The kitchen looked cozy, but elegant with its granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. I looked around, trying to get used to my new surroundings when I remembered Chris was alone in his wheelchair.

"We should put Chris to bed, he's on heavy meds." I said.

"Sure, let me call my brother to help. Alex!" she called.