Chapter 34

Jason

The clock read 6:30 a.m. Everyone was still asleep, but I was an early bird, vacation or not. I quietly stepped into the hallway and knocked on the girls' room. Carly immediately opened it and slipped out into my room. If there was anyone more willing to help me get Alyssa, it would be Carly Whitney. We sat out in the balcony as to not disturb Paul and so he wouldn't be able to butt in. Carly Whitney had earned the reputation of speaking the minds of girls everywhere. She had become the master of love songs and that was exactly who I needed.

I couldn't admit to Alyssa that I felt something for her. I had already hinted that I did, but I wasn't sixteen and I didn't want to play any games.

"You know, I think you should take her out onto the beach, build a bonfire and just tell her. Don't overthink it. Just do, it. Get her alone and do it."

Alyssa had me feeling like an inexperienced fifteen-year-old kid. She seemed to be a one-at-a-time kind of girl so if she was still hung up on Nick, then chances were she was going to let me down easy.

Carly agreed on working on finding a club we could rent so we could have a little fun. With that, she went off to find Brett then I went to shower. The plan was to not hang out with Alyssa. This was Carly's idea. The night of the dinner we'd had a good night and we learned a lot about each other. We grew a bit closer so in light of that, now was my time to withdraw.

I wanted to see if she would miss me and where that would put me. When Paul awakened and readied himself, we snuck out of the hotel, leaving Braden with a tactful message to deliver if Alyssa asked where I was.

***

Alyssa

Carly was not in the room when I awoke, but had left a note saying she and Brett had gone to see about a music club. I showered and went over to Chris' room where he and Braden were sitting on the floors with Xbox controllers. My phone vibrated with that special vibration. My mistress was calling.

I excused myself to the bathroom in my room and locked the room door then hurried into the bathroom locking that door too. I finally stepped into the shower, shutting the sliding glass. I know, paranoia's ugly.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Alyssa, how's San Diego?" she asked.

"Uh... it's good."

"I'm glad, how's Chris?"

"He's well. His ribs were hurting a bit yesterday."

"They'll be sore for a little bit longer."

Was this a personal call? I'd never gotten one of those from her.

"I have an assignment for you."

There it was.

"I am sending you an email with an attached document. Alyssa, please be careful."

I opened her email finding a fifty-seven page long file.

The order dictates to bring down Mark Thayer. He has been able to cross five borders making it back to the US where he is wanted in seventeen states for the rape of twenty women.

Who the hell was this man?

He is a GFA agent whose execution was put off when they vanished six years ago. He has been able to elude the Night Hounds, Black Ops, and Special Operations ranks.

And she was sending me, an international agent?

This mission requires someone who can very well defend herself and manage to get into his room. He is staying at the Hotel Del Coronado in the main hotel building, 2nd floor room 287. He is aggressive, and violent. Be careful and keep yourself from his grasp, it can be deadly.