Chapter 40

Tonight was the night Jason was going to formally meet my dad. My nerves were so shot, I didn't even know how to feel. My dad seemed totally chill about it and that was never a good thing with that man. I'd arrived early myself, so I could start on preparing dinner. My dad was sitting at the counter enjoying a glass of cabernet. That was his second favorite drink; his first was vodka. I lowered the flame on the stove to let it simmer then began setting the table. My dad was just casually drinking, not helping me at all.

He was not— "Dad help me!"

He slid his eyes over to me grinning.

"This is your dinner, kid." he replied.

I placed my hands on my hips giving him a look as he refilled his glass.

"That look didn't work for your mom, and it won't work for you." I huffed, setting out the silverware.

At 6:45, there was a knock on the front door. My dad glanced at his watch.

"Very conscious of time."

Already making a good impression! I hurried to the door smoothing out my dress then opened it. Jason smiled, lowering his gaze over me.

"Well don't you look beautiful." He said.

"Aw shucks, you look good yourself."

Jason kissed my cheek out of respect for my dad who was hovering behind me. I cleared my throat inviting him in then started off the night.

"Dad, this is my boyfriend Jason, Jason this is my dad."

I introduced formally. Jason was the first to extend his hand. My dad glanced at me briefly then gave him a handshake.

"It's nice to see you again." My dad said.

"Likewise, thank you for the invitation to your home. It's very beautiful."

"Thank you, but the invitation was from my daughter."

Dad.

"The food should almost be ready. Dad, why don't you two go into the dining room while I check on it?" I suggested.

I watched them go into the dining room then I went a few feet into the kitchen. I turned off the flame then took the chicken out of the oven. My dad had broken out the good china so on the fancy platter it went. With the waitress expertise I'd learned on Youtube, I loaded up the mashed potatoes, and green beans on my arms and delivered it all into the dining room. My dad stood, cutting the chicken for all of us.

I stole a glance at both of them noticing that they looked as though they hadn't been speaking. My nerves tightened up a notch as I mentally begged my dad to like Jason.

"Dad, Jason's been involved with charity work lately," I said, trying to break the heavy silence.

"That's nice. Do you do charity much?" my dad.

Jason cleared his throat, nodding. "I do as much as I can. For this last marketing campaign, fifty percent of the proceeds within the 6-month period of its implementation were donated to children's hospitals across the US and Canada."

My dad glanced at me, serving the mashed potatoes.

"That's nice."

Not everything is nice dad.

"I'm going to be honest here Jason, I find your behavior as of late, troubling."

Dad...

"I was going through something." Jason quietly replied.