Chapter 48

The house had fallen completely silent and still. We put our shoes back on, slipping out of our room with dozens of thiopental syringes in our pockets. Jason crept to the end of the hall where the staircase was and set a heat censor at the edge of the wall so if someone passed it, it'd alert us. We each slipped in earpieces then prepared our switchblades in the event that someone woke up.

We had three floors to deal with. Mrs. Stone's room was downstairs and everyone else's was here on the second and third floors. Jason opened the first door with a quick glance at me. We crawled in like shadows shutting the door to work in darkness. I felt my way to the first bed, Jason the other. I lifted myself off the floor looming over the bed, then turned on a flashlight, just enough to see who was laying there. It was the 13-year-old kid. I thought back to the file, he was licensed at 12, and had already killed 239 people. The kid was on his side sound asleep. I slipped my finger under the material of his pajama then pressed the needle in. He tensed up, swatting my hand away. I grabbed his head slamming it back into the nightstand. He relaxed falling under the effect of the drug. Jason finished his person then he turned on the side lamp. It was the kid and the lady who was probably his mom. We cleared that room leaving the light on so we knew we'd been there already.

Next room... Jason went in first then I went in after him. It was a single room. Jason borrowed my flashlight to shine it over the face of a man. The man's eyes shot open, but Jason punched him straight in the nose knocking him out. The thiopental went into his system, three down, 17 people to go, plus the clerk. We passed our room and the pilots'. I opened the door to the other room when the lights turned on in that one. The two women in there were pointing two shotgun rifles at the both of us and ordered us to get on our knees. We set the needles down, following their instruction. Jason's eyes darted about the room in a quick scan.

A jar of marbles was on the floor beside their bookshelf. The two women ordered us to line up against the wall. Jason shuffled over to the jar of marbles, keeping his hands on top of his head. I turned to the women beginning to plead for our lives. Both their eyes were fixed on me. Jason glanced in my direction then popped the lid to the jar. The women laughed at my attempts to save our skins as Jason reached in to grab a marble. One of the women snatched me up by the collar and thrust me in the direction of the wall. Jason dropped the marbled onto the floor letting it roll to their feet. The women's eyes instantly darted towards it distracting them for one second. Jason and I grabbed the tips of the rifles yanking them out of their hands them rammed the butts into their faces. They slinked to the floor unconscious and we hit them with the thiopental. We brought the rifles along with us setting them in our room then continued on.

There were 6 more doors on this floor, which meant there had to be 11 more upstairs; or something like that. We hit the rest of the 6 rooms taking out everyone quietly. So far no one had crossed the heat censor yet meaning that Mrs. Stone and whoever else was downstairs hadn't crossed yet. We went up the second staircase to the third floor where Jason placed another heat censor. I suggested we split it up so we could finish faster. He agreed going to one side. We counted to three then slipped into the rooms.

~ *** ~

Jason

I made sure Alyssa's first door went okay before quickly disabling the person in mine. This was an older woman. She looked to be in her mid-40s with a recorded number of 27 kills. I slipped into the next room hoping Alyssa had made it safely out of hers. There were 10 doors on this floor actually, meaning there was another bedroom downstairs with Mrs. Stone. I finished the last door on my side and waited for Alyssa at the end of the hall. I hadn't heard a noise from her. 5 minutes passed and she still hadn't come up. The last door was still closed whereas the other rooms had the lights on. I cautiously crept towards the room holding my switchblade. The door opened and Alyssa glided out. I breathed a sigh of relief confirming she was okay. She gave me the thumbs up then averted her eyes to the roof where there was a small string hanging from a barely visible square. It was the attic. I reached up and pulled it down. Alyssa cried for me to duck as a rifle barrel set off 5 shots. I crawled on top of her to shield her from any possible ricocheted bullets.