Chapter 44

Jason

I went into the bathroom to pick up her clothes to wash them and dry them. The scent of her perfume was lingering on them. I lightly held it to my nose, breathing it in. I was beginning to think that this was infatuation. She felt so special to me and I couldn't explain it. I could admit that I had messed up in the past, but the IIA made me stop. They didn't tolerate undisciplined behavior. They whipped it out of me. Alyssa was my second incentive to behave properly. I didn't want her to have to go behind her dad's back. They were close and nothing should come between that. I threw her clothes into the wash along with some of mine, then went up to my bedroom.

If only Mr. Winters knew that I worked for the IIA and that they would come down on me if I majorly screwed up. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt Alyssa. But maybe if Mr. Winters knew who I really was, he'd fear for her life more than ever. I feared for her life, but I loved being around her. She made me laugh and I loved the way she would tease me, and the way she felt in my arms. I had to stop thinking about her this way. It was gross and corny.

The next morning, I awoke and got dressed to head on down to the office. My assistant, Giselle, greeted me with a good morning and a stack of messages that needed my attention. I thanked her, setting a box of chocolates on her desk and entered my office to begin my day's work. The hours went by slowly despite that they were filled with reports and emails to be answered and sent. My mom had faxed over some new reports from the main headquarters that she wanted me to check. That's how we communicated. If she faxed something over I knew she was all right and vice versa. At 3 p.m., I clocked out, asking Giselle to forward any important messages to me. She nodded, continuing to type a letter.

My next stop was to the Den. Scott had said he had a very important assignment for me. He was awaiting my arrival behind his desk where he was eating some Panda Express. He waved to me with a mouth full of orange chicken and a pair of chopsticks in hand. I took a seat as he swallowed and took a drink from his fancy water.

"This one is Santa Barbara. Have fun."

I tipped the file at him, riding the elevator back down to my car to start on the two-hour drive. The whole way over, the windows were rolled down with the music playing a little too loudly and the sea air in my hair. It bummed me out just a bit when I made it to a hotel named The Seaside.

According to the file, the order required the take down of a model. My real identity could be used if it could get me close to this girl. I stepped out of the car, going in through the front. The staff barely noticed my presence, which allowed for me to speed to the elevator. The model's room was on the fourth floor where she was supposed to be getting ready for a photoshoot. I swiped a bunch of flowers from a vase in the hallway that led to her room, and knocked on her door waiting for her to answer. A number of locks clicked before she opened it and raised a questioning brow at me. Her long blonde hair was hung in glossy curls that accented her heart-shaped face. Her eyes were a dark brown with long fake eyelashes. Her makeup looked fresh and masterfully applied.

"Mercedes Viramontes?" I asked.

"Yes?" she replied. 

"Hello, I'm Jason Snow." 

Her eyes lit up—yep I still had it.

"I heard there was a beautiful model staying here."

"You heard right, come in." she invited with light seduction in her voice.

That was too easy. I walked into the room closing the door behind me. As soon as I did, a knife flew into the door. She knew. I yanked it out turning around in preparation to fight. She dropped her robe revealing a woman's business suit underneath. The GFA pin was on the right flap.

"I have done so many evil things as part of the GFA. So many innocent people, gone," 

She pulled down the collar exposing her neck. Excuse me?

"You are Agent 94 of the IIA: one of the two most prized possessions of the Syndicate. Just do it, sedate me," she said.

I stayed in my place. What?

"I am ready, it is okay."

I cautiously walked up to her pressing the needle into her neck.

"The GFA is evil, they do very evil things and they are coming." She said, looking me in the eye. 

She fell into my arms allowing me to spread her out. Did she just, tell me to kill her?

I had never heard an order say that. What if this was a set up? I ran out before my suspicions were confirmed. The whole ride back to the Den was filled with paranoia. I had never worked against the GFA until two months ago, so I wasn't very sure if this was something they did. She didn't even put up a fight. My heart stopped thudding against my ribcage as soon as I entered the underground parking lot and was safely inside. I filled out my report being detailed then personally told Scott the story.

"You know it's weird, Agent 96 had the same exact experience. I can't wait for this ball so we can start sending you out in partners." he said.

"Can I meet her at the ball, or do I have to wait until the next day?" I asked.

"My guess is you already know her better than you think."

"What does that mean?"

"You've heard a lot about her."

"What if I don't like her?"

"If you don't, I can reassign, but if you do, you're stuck with her."

This should be interesting.

I totally forgot that I had to update this lol, but here it is! :D Also, Adrenaline is the winner of the Tiny Tale Awards for Most Intriguing! Yay!