Chapter 39

Alyssa

I was waiting patiently in Lydia's office when she and Scott finally walked in. Lydia took a seat, raising her eyes to me. Her eyes dilated turning almost completely black.

"What happened to your face?" she asked.

"... Nick." I answered in a small voice.

"What did he do?"

I retold the story keeping my eyes on the top of her desk. Her glare was too intense to look head on, despite that it was not intended for me.

"Do you still not want him dead?" she asked.

"No ma'am."

"How, do you want to handle this Alyssa? I could have him cold as ice in an hour."

"I'm pressing charges, I'll deal with this the Innocent way." I said.

"How did Jason take this?"

"He was angry, but everything is fine."

I knew there was more she wanted to say, but with Scott there she had to be reasonable. There was always whispers throughout the organization that Lydia was like a Black Mamba, striking when least expected. The fact that she had Nick on her radar made the hairs on the back of my neck rise. Nick had no idea what he was getting himself into. He wasn't just pissing off my dad and my mom, he was pissing off Lydia. She'd killed more people than my parents combined, and in far more violent ways.

"I called you in because we have gotten a direct order from the Headmaster. He is requiring that all agents be assigned a partner. Scott and I have spoken and have decided that your best match would be Agent 94." she said, changing the subject.

I was finally going to meet Agent 94.

"By October 2nd, you will  be partners."

"Does he know he's working with me?"

"Yes."

I nodded, accepting my new assignment.

"You may go, and I am very sorry Nick put his hands on your again. But I might have something that will cheer you up?" she said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well a certain special someone is back in town, and ready to fit you for a dress."

I grinned from east to west, almost completely forgetting that loser.

"Get to it." Lydia laughed, earning a chuckle from Scott.

Jared Hubbard was back in town and when it came to dresses he was the creme de la creme. I hadn't seen him since he'd set us up with hotel uniforms, and I couldn't wait to see what he had prepared for me. Lydia dismissed me, walking me to the door. There was a hop in my step as I got into my car and exited the parking structure. Jared was one of my favorite people aside from my dad. My excitement grew the closer I got to his shop and peaked the moment I parked. His food opened with a bell dinging and making my presence known.

"Jared, where are you?" I called. 

"There's my favorite." He said from somewhere in the back of the store.

"Lydia told me you were back in town."

"Just landed this morning, and I have something special for you."

I squealed earning a chuckle from him. There was some rustling before he entered the main room. The moment he laid his eyes on me his face darkened

"What happened to your face?" he asked in a sharp tone.

I knew that these tones weren't meant for me, but it cut away at my feelings every time they spoke to me that way.