Chapter 54

Jason

The weeks had passed and we'd gone through so many orders. We'd reached the end of our one-month stationary job and were heading home from Scotland. Our bags were packed and ready; we were just waiting to board the plane. It was mid-November now. For the last few weeks I'd been thinking long and hard about this decision. I was finally going home to Darling and I was bringing Alyssa with me. It was time they met each other. 

Our flight was called and our group made its way to the gate. An airline worker scanned our boarding passes, checking our passports one last time. For the first time in weeks, Alyssa held my hand as we walked towards the back of the airplane. With the eyes of the GFA and IIA having ben trained on us for so long, we needed to be alone.

I held my tongue as the plane took off into the air and most of the way home. Her head rested against my shoulder, as she stared into space. I twirled a strand of her hair around my free finger finally asking the fated question. Would she come up to Darling with me to meet my family? 

Alyssa raised her eyes to me with furrowed brows. Surprise was clearly written in her expression. 

"You want me to meet them?" she asked. 

"Of course, they'd love to meet you too. I was hoping that maybe you and your family could come up, too, so both sides of the family can meet." 

She glanced at her parents who were sound asleep next to each other in the row of seats in front of us. 

"I'll talk it over with them.

I smiled and kissed her cheek, thanking her. Alyssa sat up letting go of my hand as the seatbelt light lit up and we sat down properly waiting for the plane to land. My muscles were taught from having been still for the last few hours.

***

Alyssa

A sense of relief washed over me when the plane landed on the strip. While Scotland was beautiful, there was nothing like home. Jason kissed me goodbye at the taxi pick-up, his private car awaiting him. Sleepiness crept into my senses as my family and I stepped into an Uber. My body screamed for my bed as I walked through the front door of our home. I set my suitcase down in the foyer, flinging away the responsibility of unpacking.

My family and I crowded the stairs, going upstairs to our bedrooms. The bruises I had earned in Scotland were aching as were my muscles. It was my hope that Lydia would have mercy on me and let me rest from having completed a long stationary assignment.

I washed my face clean, of the exhaustion built up fro the plane ride and changed into the comfiest pajamas that I could find. The ability to sleep was imminent, but there was still some business to take care of.  

My parents were settling down in their bedroom, already in their pajamas. I took a seat on the end of their bed, playing with a lone string hanging from their comforter. Their weary faces met mine as they slid under the covers. Scotland had worn us all down to the bone. Nearly 4 dozen orders had been executed within a two month time frame.

"Is everything alright?" my mom asked, lathering her face and neck with a night cream.

Self-care.

"Yes, I just thought I'd let you know that Jason has invited us up to Canada to meet his family. I understand that we've just returned from abroad, but I think it would be nice."