Chapter 36

Jason

It had felt as though everything had stopped when her voice spoke over ours. How did Christina even know that I was here? My thoughts flurried together before my realization became clear. Someone must've posted a picture from the club and she must've drawn the conclusion that I was there too, but how did she also know Alyssa's name? Maybe one of Carly's friends let it slip? Christina could have easily— wait, Larissa was friends with Marina White which was Christina's best friend. They followed each other on Instagram so if Larissa posted something, then either one of them could have seen it.

That still didn't explain though how she knew Alyssa's name. Wait, I introduced Alyssa to Larissa by name. I should have been more careful. Christina wasn't supposed to find out yet. Now she'd pointed her broom in my direction, showing up unannounced and uninvited, Adele style. My blood chilled down to the last globule. I expected her to insult Alyssa, but I also expected to have a better reaction, but I panicked. Guilt reverberated through me when she started to remind me that I should be getting rid of Alyssa instead of her. It felt like I was that 17-year-old kid head over heels in love with her again.

I needed to better protect Alyssa. Wherever Christina set her evil eye, that's where the most damage would fall. I was living proof. Breakfast was clearly over, so we headed back over to the villas. Paul met us there and assured me that Christina would no longer be bothering us. But I knew she'd be back.

I grabbed Alyssa, taking her into my room and sat her down. "Are you okay?" I asked.

"Are you okay?" she replied.

"Yeah, I'm just... I'm really sorry."

She slid closer to me, placing her hand over mine.

"Is this what she would do to you?" she asked. "You practically dissolved into a heap of apologies. You wouldn't let me get a word in edge wise. Was this how she made you apologize to her?"

"... Consider it Canadian politeness, we apologize for everything."

"Christina showing up was out of your control and I don't hold it against you." She said.

Not yet she doesn't.    

***

Alyssa

I made sure Jason was alright before leaving to my room. Christina was just a thorn in my side, but to Jason, she was a wall he couldn't overcome. Paul was standing in my room as I walked in. He looked up at me and asked me to sit down. It's generally not a good thing when guys want you to sit down.

"Jason and Christina are still working things out. They have a long history and some feelings are hard to shake." he said. "Don't take it too hard, but it's best that you figure that out now rather than later when there are real feelings between you." 

Harsh, Paul.

"Thank you for your concern." I said. 

He tipped his head at me, giving me a sorry look. His pity slid off my shoulder and withered on the floor. I stared at the spot I imagined it'd be realizing that maybe Paul was right. I saw the look on Jason's face. There was definitely something there. See, this is why you don't catching feelings, ugh. Carly flush the toilet, reminding me that she was in the room. How convenient that she was in there when Paul came to talk to me. We spent the rest of the morning packing up and completing ignoring that the wicked witch of the southwest had blessed us with a visit. She was wearing cute shoes though.

Well breakfast was ruined and I wasn't a big lunch person, so we'd have to make this up tonight. The mood had cleared and everyone was smiling and being silly. Jason knocked on the connecting door as he walked in clad in a suit. The sight of him turned my knee caps to jello. He picks dup my hand, giving me a turn as Carly was called out into the hallway. This is a very convenient group. he kissed my cheek, mumbling a compliment, but suddenly I could hear Paul's voice instead of his. I turned away, taking in a deep breath before forcing out that dreaded sentence out.