Chapter 31

Alyssa

The next evening I was sitting in the kitchen, eating dinner and minding my own business when Luke suddenly appeared beside me with an angry look on his face. I slowly chewed my chicken, lifting a brow in question. It didn't take long for me to figure out that he'd heard I was going to see Nick tonight. Since I wasn't able to meet with him last night, I was planning on dropping by tonight. So, someone had told him, and that someone was Chris. Luke shook his head at me, giving right into a lecture about how cheaters never changed. I sighed, mentally rolling my eyes as he went on and on. I knew he was right, but I could't just leave Nick like that. We'd been together for two years and maybe this was something we could work past. When Luke finished ranting about my questionable life choices, I set my dishes in the sink then leaned against the sink looking at him. "Bruh relax, everything's going to be fine. I'll call you if anything happens." I told him, walking over to his stool.

He stood making sure he towered over me in the most authoritative way. 

"Be careful." he warned, his eyes softening with each second. 

I slid my arms around his waist, lightly tapping his back. 

"I will." 

Luke kissed the top of my head, walked me out to my car as I grabbed my purse. My heart was beating so slowly with my nerves twisting in my stomach. I took in a deep and shaky breath as I parked in front of his house. His parents' car wasn't in the driveway, but Nick's was. My legs threatened to buckle as I walked up to his front door. Get it together Alyssa. My rap against the door sounded weak and frightened. My nerves reached their peak as the door rattled open. 

"Hi." I greeted, just above a whisper.

Nick looked stunned to see me and self consciously tugged on his basketball shorts and old, favorite T-shirt.

"Alyssa, hi." he replied, running a hand through his hair and down the back of his neck.

"Can I come in?" 

"Of course, of course."

My legs had thankfully regained their strength, letting me walk into the house with an ounce of grace. We took a seat on the sofa, awkwardly glancing at each other. Their sounds suddenly began to loop through my mind, lighting my short fuse, but I smothered the flame and took in a deep breath instead.

"Lys, I am so, so, sorry. I cannot apologize enough. I'm so sorry." he began.

"How could you do that to me? I trusted you. I know I'm away a lot, but that doesn't mean what you did is excusable. I would never do that you."

"Well of course you wouldn't. You're locked at the knees."

"I'm not ready."

"We've been together for two years."

"And that means I have to sleep with you?"

"How will I know you love me?"

"I'm willing to give you another chance."

"That's not enough for me. Alyssa, I hardly see you. You're always either working or going to school. Don't get me wrong, I love when I see you, but you have to give me something worth waiting for."

"Nick, I-"

"Angelina were to compensate for what you can't give me."

My hands began to tremble. "What is that supposed to mean?" I asked through a low growl of a voice. 

"Alyssa, you're stable, I know you're always going to be there. Angelina is the fun one. She does the dirty work so you don't have to. Think of it as an open relationship."