Chapter 81

Alyssa

I walked out of the office feeling a pain in my chest. My anxiety had burst and now here it was bleeding out. While going to the elevator someone walked out of Scott's office. Jason! We ran to meet each other halfway for a hug.

"They're breaking us up." I said.

"I know, Scott just told me," he replied, shaking his head into my shoulder.

"Oh, I would let her go if I were you." a voice said.

We turned to see Lydia stepping out of her office and lean against the sill of the door. Scott emerged from his office with a similar stance. He pushed himself off the door, and he and Lydia walked up to us. We let go of each other timidly backing into the wall.

"We were not going to do this now, but since you two are making this difficult we will do it now." Scott began.

"Break up."

We stared at them as he spoke those words.

"You heard him, break up." Lydia ordered harshly.

Jason and I looked at each other awkwardly.

"Do we need to repeat ourselves?" Scott glared.

"Alyssa, I think we should break up." Jason said quietly.

"I agree, we should; are you removing as partners?" I asked looking at Lydia.

I did sound like a kid.

"Do we have to?"

We shook our heads.

"Then you will continue as friends only. Nothing more and nothing less, is that understood?"

"Yes."

"Yes."
We answered.

"Now hand over your phones."

We followed their instruction letting them do whatever it was that needed to be done. I looked down at my watch. 7:27, they made us break up at 7:27pm, the time we met.

After a couple of minutes they handed them back and made us leave separately. I looked through my phone to see what they'd done. Lydia had deleted Jason's number and all his messages. She had tried deleting him from my life.

"This is for your own good." Lydia said with a softer, but still stern expression.

I didn't say anything to her. I couldn't. What now? The elevator doors opened for me, and Lydia escorted me in to ride down by myself. It wasn't until they closed that I realized something. Neither Scott nor Lydia noticed that I was still wearing the locket and the ring he gave me. They had cameras in here so they would notice if I touched them. The doors reopened to the underground garage and I went back out to my car. Once inside I took off the locket and ring, stuffing them into my glove compartment.

They couldn't take that away. They could take everything else, but not those because those meant a lot. I hoped Jason remembered to take off his watch. Getting home, no one except Chris was there. He saw my face and knew something was wrong. I didn't give him a chance to ask at first. I ran up to room to place the ring and locket in my safe under my bed. Chris came up asking me what was wrong. I closed the bedroom door and explained everything that Lydia and Scott had said. No one else could know.

Chris gripped my shoulder telling me it'd be all right. The only thing to do was to keep myself on track and worry about rebuilding my success rate. It'd dropped down 20 percent because of this order, 20 percent. I sighed nodding, he was right. I made him promise not to say anything to anyone. If anyone asked, the council had concluded not to punish us. That was what they really came to. He agreed, petting the back of my head then asked me to come downstairs for a late dinner. Food always made me feel better, but for once, food could not fix this.