Chapter 1 - He is back

Zurich international airport

He splashed water on his face.

"Who is he?" Manik wondered as he stared at his own reflection in the mirror. A tall muscular frame, broad shoulders, a handsome face, soft black hair, brushing off the forehead, and deep hollow eyes!! That's where he always stopped. That's where all his questions always met a dead end.

People say, the way to someone's soul is through their eyes. But his betrayed him every time he wanted to go further. That's why he hated the mirror so much. It made him feel small, like a leaf tossed by the wind, aimless and rootless. Where did he come from? Where was he fucking heading to? WHO the hell was he?

He clenched his fist. Anger was the only emotion remotely familiar to him and every time he lost his way, he clung on to it. The world thought he was a monster, only he knew it was the only mask that could hide a totally messed up self that now remained of him.

He was just about to bang his fist on the exquisite marble counter when it started ringing. Instinctively his eyes fell on the cell phone lying abandoned across the counter top. A face flashed on the screen. He froze, his fist still tightly clenched, hung somewhere in midair.

He was not one to probe into other's personal belongings. In fact he hardly cared for anything that went about around him. But this face, of a young girl that flashed on the screen transfixed him. It rang for full 40 seconds and then the screen went black. Manik was shaken out of the trance. He bent over to take a closer look, hoping that whoever had rung would ring again. One, two, three, the clock ticked and the phone started ringing again..in a flash of a second, Manik grabbed the phone. That same young girl smiled..N A N D I N I....he managed to read the name when someone patted on his shoulder and the phone fell from his hand.