Chapter 111

The banquet was slowly but steadily filling up.

While normal people invite friends and family to their wedding, Neel's 250+ long list didn't boast of a single friend. 'Friendship' to him was a term with no tangible meaning. He only understood alliances, and alliances that brought benefits.

Except for a few distant relatives who had made it at the behest of his mother, his invitees mostly comprised of colleagues, clients, client's clients, business associates and his management, few from the global team and the rest from india. Not many people can marry out of lustful hatred and then commercialize the occasion to climb the next step on the corporate ladder. But then, you can't beat Neel Dixit at being an asshole, can you? He was born one, and in all probability was going to die one.

Somehow, having managed to escape from Ranbir's pawns, Neel had first changed into a designer black kurta (with a plunging neckline) and then gotten busy entertaining his guests, licking their dirty boots as usual.

It was during one of those conversations with a client, when he felt a sudden pull at his collar

It was during one of those conversations with a client, when he felt a sudden pull at his collar. He did manage to see Manik's face, but before he could make the slightest guess about what was about to happen next, a solid smack landed on the left side of his face, sending him into a half spin before he fell flat with a loud thud, on his fat ass.

Navya, standing meters away, blinked a couple of times. No this wasn't a dream sequence, this was actually happening. She examined her surroundings. The hall had suddenly gone silent, and not just any kind of silent but absolute pin drop silent. People had frozen in their tracks, abandoning whatever they had been doing or whoever they had been talking to. Hundreds of pairs of curious eyeballs turned towards Manik. She carefully studied the storm on Manik's face and then her eyes travelled across to Nandini, who was standing behind him, trembling with nervousness. Where was Ranbir? Her eyes scanned the entire floor till they stopped at a distant corner where Ranbir was with THEIR set of guests.

"What the hec.." That's all Neel could utter, before Manik dragged him up by the collar and gave him another massive blow on his jaw. Blood started trickling down from a deep cut on his lips.

Nandini was petrified, and so were the guests. When Amms, who was with Neel's parents in one of the adjacent rooms, heard the noises from the scuffle, she immediately ran out. Somewhere in her heart, she knew it was him. Despite her warnings, despite her keeping the marriage undercover till the very last moment, her worst fear had come to life. It had to be Manik, once more, ruining her granddaughter's happiness. On her way out, she encountered Ranbir, who tried to stop her. But, the thick headed lady that she was, she shrugged ranbir off and made her way through the crowd to where Manik and Nandini were.

"Himmat kaise hui tumhe idhar aake, sabke samne yeh tamasha karne ki? Yeh tumhare ameer bap ka ghar nahi hai ki jo man mein aaye karo, yeh meri Nandini ki shaadi ka mandap hai, aur wo uska hone wala husband hai? Aj to besharmi ki har limit cross kardi hai tumne , jitna badnaam kar sakte the hume, wo to pehle hi kar chuke ho, fir ab kyun aaye ho yahan?" she stormed at Manik.