Chapter 123

Complete Mayhem in the house!!!!!

Alya's house... to be precise, as it was the venue for the so called musical night, a modern day twist to what's normally known as Sangeet. Friends and family had split into two. So while Navya and Mukti teamed up with Nandini, dragging along Ranbir, Alya and Dhruv were to be on Manik's side. Nandini would have her uncle and brother, but Chachi, as promised, was waiting to switch sides from her soni kudi to her Sona Munda.

The day had just begun and Alya was already a house on fire. On one hand, her trusted tailor, master da, had been sick. For over a week now, the poor guy had not been able to turn up at her boutique, and the junior lot she employed, as she discovered now , were a bunch of good-for-nothing-selfie-obsessed-college-interns. So without much of a choice, she herself had to chip in at the very last moment, to give the finishing touches to the attire she had designed for Manik and Nandini to be worn on their Sangeet.

Had it been only that, she would have managed just fine. But she also had a whole house to decorate, and absolutely no idea, how. How is one supposed to decorate for a Sangeet? Even though she was a designer and a pro at these things, she had never really experienced a traditional wedding, or the functions around it, forget hosting one.

It was a little after 4 am, and she was holed up in her basement amidst sewing machines, measuring scales, tiny bits of clothes, a bottle of sequins strewn on the sewing table , needles, threads and a dozen odd garments hanging from multi-coloured hangers, with a large mug of coffee in her hand, hair pulled up in a bun and an oversized pair of glasses adorning her sleep deprived but still pretty face.

That's when she heard footsteps hurrying down the stairs . Who could it be this late or this early?

Who but Dhruv...

"Dhruv...You here?!! So early in the morning??"

"You didn't sleep the whole night na?"

"How do you know?"

"I called at your bedside phone couple of times...just to check.. No wonder no one picked it up" He saw a faint hint of a smile curving up on her lips." So miss Alya..what kept you up all night?"

That's all she needed, a pair of patient ears, willing to listen. And that's what men often don't understand, that they need not always hunt for a solution, need not always jump in to help. At times merely being present, just listening & watching over, that's all a girl wants from them.

"See na, I got busy doing these dresses.. And I have no idea how I am going to decorate the house for the Sangeet. And what sort of food should I order with Nandini's family coming over." She was fretting.

Dhruv threw a glance at the white kurta and the accompanying pale blue jacket, and then at the beautiful churidar set in the same shade of dreamy blue, with a hint of Gold thrown in. "Wow beautiful Alya!"

She moved her gaze from him to the dresses and back at Dhruv. "Thank you!" she replied with a coy smile.

"I didn't know you were such a pro at designing Indian wear. I have always seen you wearing western. When can I see you in a dress like that. I can't imagine how beautiful you would look in it Alya."

If anyone else had told her the same, maybe she wouldn't have taken it kindly. Yes the dress was beautiful...modern and traditional at the same time, but just not her style. Yet something in the way he looked at her, made her feel, He wasn't appraising her.. he wasn't deprecating her style, or lauding Nandini's. He wasn't even flirting with her. Whatever he said, he seemed to mean it. May be he indeed wanted to see her in something similar. She took a mental note without replying to him.