Chapter 109

People had started trickling in, but all from Neel's side and neither from hers. Neel and his parents had together invited more than 250 guests, including relatives, colleagues, business associates, clients, so on and so forth while the only people from her side, apart from her family were Navya & Ranbir.

Nandini glanced at the heap of clothes spread on the bed infront of her. They had reached the banquet, and Nandini had been asked to get ready in one of the rooms upstairs. From the look of it, the banquet appeared rather expensive and because it had to be booked at the very last minute, owing to Amms's stupidity, the owners must have charged an astronomical rate from chacha. What a waste of his hard earned money! Nandini thought. Her mouth had gone sour, and her limbs were numb. Her heart , beating at thrice the normal rate, had consumed all her energy. Much less the bride, with that morose expression on her pale face, Nandini looked like the proverbial lamb before its slaughter..as if she was dressing up for her own funeral.

Nandini glanced at the bed again and picked up the sari. Pulling it close to her bosom, she embraced it as dearly, as she would have embraced Manik. No she wouldn't wear it, even though, she was bound to do so by her culture.

Reluctantly, she put on the grandiose lehenga, Manik had sent her. It was an exquisite piece of craftsmanship, carefully hand stitched over months, yet when she looked into the mirror, she saw a living corpse draped in red. 'just few more hours Nandini and this nightmare will be over' She kept on repeating these words to herself. She kept on reminding herself that it was all staged, & that they were reading out from a script, but all her efforts were going in vain. She had to struggle to breathe as her breaths fell shallow. She was literally waiting with bated breaths for Manik.

Nandini ran her fingers over the gold neckpiece.

"Too engrossed in dolling up Sweetheart? So engrossed that you didn't even notice your to-be husband ?"

A chill ran up Nandini's spine. She raised her face slowly to see the most hated reflection in the mirror. His snaky eyes were glimmering and a lustful smile hung from his bumpy lips.

"Engrossed or lost? Still mourning the break up is it? Waise congratulations honey, both for the marriage and for your sweet sa break up.c'mmon get up and give me a hug."

She wanted to pick up the copper kalash (vessel) lying on the bed, throw it at his shitty face and then spit on the bloodied mass that would become of it.

'Control Nandini, he is trying to instigate you.. Don't react...don't do anything stupid & ruin it for Manik..let him handle this asshole' she clenched her hands into a tight fist struggling to hold herself back.

"Chor diya na tumhe? Aukad dikha di tumhari, us Manik ne? bohot ud rahi thi...how does it feel now? To be dumped after being fucked? Does it feel as good as it felt warming his bed?"

Nandini didn't even care to turn around and face him. His words had riled her up enough make her want to puke. She remained seated, motionless, scanning his ugly reflection with her steely eyes. If he had come here, looking for some cheap thrills, he wasn't going to get any.

"Chalo acha hi hua tumhare liye, that he broke up himself. Imagine if he hadn't and I had told him your truth...kitna zyada drama hota na fir..kaise ghasitke who tumhe apni life se kick out ar deta.." He scanned whatever little of her face was visible to him, but didn't find the kind of reaction he was hoping to see.

"You don't think he would have thrown you out? Koi nai I had an alternative plan too...What if another car had crushed him under its wheels....ish..ish..sad na...." he mocked her " Remember those messages you sent me..bragging about him..lol, I feel so sad for you baby..I really do..trust me...but pata hai meri problem kya hai that I love seeing you sad, it gives me a high. And the best part is, beginning today, you will only cry and beg for your life before me." he kept on ranting, and laughing to himself. People marry either for love, or under family pressure, but Neel was marrying out of hatred. Her suffering turned him on, seeing her beg and cry satiated his carnal desires. And if merely watching her cringe in disgust could give him so much pleasure, he couldn't even imagine the adrenaline rush he would get from torturing her mentally and physically. She was just a tasty piece of meat that he was obsessed with.