Chapter 49

"Yaar tum fir se aa gai, matlab its not even funny now."

"Kabir..I mean Ranbir.." Navya fumbled.

"Exactly, I am not Kabir so please stop this torture. In the last one week, this is the tenth time you and Mukti have come here. I had no clue Kabir had such chipku and weird friends. Ab mera sar fat jayega, I can't handle more drama."

"Ek bar, ek aakhri bar hamari baat sun lo. Hum wadaa karte hain, iske baad kabhi tumko tang nahi karenge"

"Aur kitna bolna hai tumko? History, geography, biology sab to bol chuki ho..... Kahan se leke aati ho itni saari batein"

"Tum ne sahi kaha, sab to bol chuke hain hum.... Kabir hamare liye kya tha, uski muskurahat, uski ajeeb batein, uske sade hue jokes, woh FAB5 ki jaan tha. And yeh mazaak nahi hai. Jis Mukti ko tum subah shaam insult karke bhej dete ho, majaal hai ki koi use ek baat suna de. Par jab bhi Kabir ki baat aati hai, use sahi galat nahi dikhta, use kuch nahi dikhta, main bhi nahi.

Par aaj main yeh bolne ke liye nahi aayi hun. "

"To fir kya bolne ke liye aayi ho?"

"Hum to badnaseeb hain ki hamara dost hme chorke chala gaya, par tum hamse bhi zyada badnaseeb ho."

This was new. Ranbir listened intently.

"Tumhare naseeb mein apne bhai ke saath rehna tha hi nahi. Humne to fir bhi uske saath kuch ache bure pal bita liye, jinke yaadon ke sahare baaki zindagi beet jayegi, par tum, tumhare paas to sirf afsos ke alawa kuch nahi hai. Na uske dost, na uski yaadein. Jitni zaroorat hame tumhari hai, usse zyada zaroorat tumhe hamari hai. Sahi kaha tha tumne ki hamare jaise chipku and weird dost nahi hote but jab aise dost haath failake tumhare samne aayein to unhe mana nahi karte.Bas itna hi kehna tha. Tumhara aur waqt zaya nahi karenge.

Humari flight 12 baje hai... hum tumhara intezaar karenge.."

In her crude, earthly way she had said the biggest truth of his life. The truth, he was constantly trying to run away from. The truth, he had been denying for the past three and half years.

Kabir was his twin brother and yet they had spent their lives like the two banks of a river, parallel to each other yet never converging. For as long as he could remember, He had been travelling the country and later the world with his army man father while his twin lived in Dehradun and them Mumbai with his mother. They had always been in touch through letters at first and then over the phone. He knew every single detail about his brother, his being gay, his passion for music, his bond with his friends, his love for his job, his ups and his downs. But he didn't know HIM because he had hardly met him in person, hardly looked into his eyes, hardly had the chance to hug him, to listen to his drum beats, to crack up at his jokes and give him a shoulder during his hard times. His friends had done that for him. The same the friends he had been shooing away for one whole week.

It wasn't their drama that was chocking him, in fact it wasn't drama, he knew.

The fact that his brother had more love after death than he had alive, unsettled him. He had no friends, because he never stayed in one place long enough to make lifelong friends. If he were to die suddenly one day, he knew no one would come searching for him.

She was right, he needed them more than they needed him.

Perhaps this was life's way of settling scores, a second chance to make up for all that he had never had. By giving comfort to Kabir's friends with his mere presence, perhaps he himself could buy some peace & love.

*******************

"He will not come Navya" Mukti said, turning back one last time before the security check.