Chapter 31

Flashback: 3 years ago on New Year:

"Dad isme to sirf mere tickets hain, Nandini ke tickets kahan hain?"

"Manik, listen I need to talk to you, lets just sit down for a while. Its urgent beta"

"Not now dad, I haven't even started packing.. Rat ko flight hai and abhi Nandini call karke chillayegi..and uske tickets bhi...dad, kis idiot ko diye the booking karne!!" Manik was in a mess. It was new year's day and he, sorry they had a flight to catch at 11 pm for Denmark. He hadn't even begun his packing. On top of that, her tickets were missing. If Nandini called him now, she would sure as hell blast him for being so lousy. These last minute glitches always made her nervous.

"You really love her, don't you?"

Why did dad have to ask such a dumb question now?

" Need I even answer that? Of course I do." He answered without looking up. He was busy deciding if he should carry his guitar as a cabin luggage or check it in. These international flights were notorious for misplacing luggage and his guitar was something he couldn't afford to part with, not even for a day.

"Then you shouldn't do this to her."

"Do what?" He stopped and looked questioningly at his father. What the hell was he trying to say?

"You are ruining her life Manik."

"Dad before I lose my cool, would you please explain what's this about? N please be quick because I have tons to do... n yeah while you explain all this, please ask your booking guy to get me the tickets ASAP if he wants to remain in one piece."

"Manik, stop this nonsense and listen to me." This wasn't going well. There were ominous dark clouds gathering outside and Manik began feeling increasingly uneasy.

He waited for his father to continue. "Manik you know why you are going to Denmark, because you are sick. And unfortunately your sickness doesn't have a definite cure. It's a gamble that could go either ways. But what about Nandini, aren't you spoiling her whole life by dragging her into this?"

"But she is the one who wanted to come, when did I drag her. She loves me and what she is doing is the most natural thing to do. God forbids, but if I were in her place, I would have done the same." He tried to plead. He was still unable to understand the point his dad was trying to make.

"Yes, she is doing it on her own will because she loves you. I admire her courage and I respect her feelings for you. But what about your feelings for her, how and when did you become so selfish? You have already started forgetting things AND HER. Meri baat hoti rehti hai tumhare doctor se. So i know ki zyada hope nahi hai.

Andvin that case have you thought that if tomorrow they can't save your memory, what will happen to her? Woh bacchi, she is leaving her studies, her friends, her family here only to support you. It isnt as easy for her as she is making it appear. Do you have any clue how insecure she must be feeling from inside. Kalko you take her along and then if you lose your memory, imagine what will she go through alone in a foreign country. You will be in the hospital, and who will take care of her? And I am not even considering the social backlash that her family might have to bear for this naïve decision of hers."

'Shit!!! why didn't it strike him before? Why didn't he convince her to stay back? His dad did have a point but it was too late now.'

"Why are you telling me now, aaapne pehle kyun nahi bataya, jab itne dino se ye sab cha raha tha, abhi kya karun main, usko jake bolun ki - Nandini thank you very much for wanting to come along but I can't take you because I have just had a eureka moment and realized that it would be unfair on you?" He was getting increasingly pissed off, but deep inside a tiny seed of doubt had been successfully planted. And this doubt, had the potential to snowball into a fire that could swallow his entire existence.