Chapter 104

It was freezing cold outside and Ranbir's face, especially his ears had gone numb. He quickly pulled the hoodie over his head, and tucking his cold hands inside the front pockets, turned around to walk back up to the house.

Inside, Nishant and girls were sleeping and to avoid waking them up, Ranbir had sneaked out to call Manik.

But as he took the very first step, he noticed a darkish thing hunched over on the bench in the back yard. In the darkness, it looked like a sack, or like a dog curled up on the bench, but for all he knew, it could be anything or anyone. Frightened out of his wits, Ranbir fastened his pace, trying to flee the place before that something or someone attacked him. But as luck would have it, as he was about to unlock the door knob, he felt a solid tap on his shoulder. Choking with fear, Ranbir started weighing his options. Should he scream for help at the top of his voice, waking up every living creature within a diameter of a 1 mile or should he be a man, turn around and punch the man/animal/ghost in its face. Thankfully, before he could do either, a shrill female voice hit his eardrums.

"Chor! Chor!" he heard, and even before he could turn around and tell her he wasn't a thief, he felt his collar being pulled and then a mighty blow landed on his jaw, desensitizing the entire left side of his face and he fell flat on the ground under its impact.

"Chori karta hai, kameene?" she was about to hit him again when he revolted in desperation, "Navya are you Nuts??? Its me Ranbir."

"Ranbir, tum!!!!??!!! Tum itni raat ko yahan kya kar rahe ho? Aur yeh sar kyun dhaka hua hai?"

Unable to decide, whether the stars were in the sky or in his head, Ranbir mustered all his strength to sit up. His teeth were still tattering under the impact of the third degree assault. He was so angry at Navya, he could almost strangulate her. "EXCUSE ME!!!! May I know what are you doing here like a bhatakti atma?"

"Wo hume neend nahi aa rahi thi." Biting her lips, she quickly knelt down and began to inspect the extent of damage on Ranbir's face, ."Waise tumhe zyada chot to nahi aayi? Sorry haan, mujhe laga koi chor hai. Ab mujhe kaise pata hoga ki itni rat ko tum choron ki tarah ghar ke andar ghus rahe hoge"

"Madhubala, can you ever be a little less dramatic? Matlab janam ke time pe agreement sign karke aayi thi kya, ki jahan jaogi, ek naya trouble create karogi? Agar I lose a single teeth because of your punch na, I swear, I will drag you to court." Lame - Ranbir realized, perhaps the lamest joke he had produced in a whole week. He was expecting Navya to lash back at him for the same, but the only word that reached his ears was a meek 'Sorry'.

Navya quietly extended her arm and helped him stand back on his feet. Perplexed, Ranbir asked, rubbing his still sore jaw "Yeh tumhe kya hogaya, why are you replying like a punctured balloon?"

"Kuch nahi, jao jake so jao, bohot raat ho gayi hai"

"Aur tum??"

"Bola na, neend nahi aa rahi hai."

Ranbir touched Navya's forehead with two fingers. "nahi, matlab bukhar to nahi hai, fir kya pagalpan ka daura para hai ? You will stay here in this cold?" He started dragging her inside by her hand.

Navya jerked her hands from his hold with kind of raw defiance that Ranbir had never seen in her. Why was she behaving so out of character? Keeping his funny side aside, Ranbir asked seriously. "Kya baat hai Navya? Kuch hua hai kya?"

She kept mum, but the her face gradually softened, as her lips drew in a sad grin.

Excusing himself, Ranbir ran inside to grab a thick quilt. If they had to spend the rest of the night outside, he might as well cover up. He made her sit on the bench while settling next to her, and wrapped the quilt around themselves. "Ab bolo, kya hua?"