Chapter 48

Manik rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. He bent down and tried to touch her with one finger. No, this wasn't a dream but this sure was going to be a nightmare. How could he do this to her, like how? She was sick all the while, he knew it, he had seen it and YET HE HAD TO LEAVE IMPULSIVELY. He gently moved the strands of hair from her face and there he saw stains of now half dried tears. He tried to wake her up by patting on her shoulders and cheeks but she didn't budge.

Teary eyed with panic and remorse, he kissed her on the still damp cheeks, with the tears that MONSTER MANIK MALHOTRA had given her

Yes, that's what he was... a monster. He had hurt the very person who had found his smile for him. He so wanted to kick himself but at this moment the utmost urgent thing was to take her to a hospital as soon as possible. It was close to 9 pm now and as he had already experienced by now, the town must have come to a standstill.

He didn't know much about Panchgani. His only touch point had been Nandini and right now he wasn't in the right frame of mind to search for himself. He called his secretary and asked him to send him the address and location of the nearest hospital.

He then picked up Nandini in his arms and rushed out.

Where was the hilltop restaurant? Where was the penthouse, the sunrise and the proposal? He should have known he wasn't destiny's favourite child

He would never make any plans again. His plans and perhaps his entire life was jinxed.

The hospital, his assistant referred him to was a government one. One look at it and Manik was appalled. How could his secretary find this one hospital in the whole town of Panchgani? He wanted to call and abuse the guy but then better sense prevailed. Enough of anger, It was only his anger that had landed him here in the first place. Perhaps this was the only one in the vicinity. For once he thought if he should take her to Pune, there he could take her to the best hospital but Pune was 3 hours away and he didn't have that much time.

A drowsy middle aged woman welcomed him with an irritated face at the emergency reception.

"Emergency case hai. Kidhar leke jana hai?" He was breathless from carrying her up a flight of steps.