Chapter 106

Nandini was pacing up and down the living room, biting her nails. Amms had gone out with Chacha for some last minute shopping completely dismissing her pleas. Apparently , this 48 hour notice period was only for Nandini. Neel's family had known the date for over a month. They had prepared a long list of rituals and a longer list of invitees. But Amms had intentionally kept her own family in dark, as she was afraid that Nandini or Shanno could come up with a plan to ruin the occasion.

Nandini checked the time. Manik would still be on his way to Panchgani. Yes, this time he had told her, that he was going to Panchgani to catch hold of the people Neel had employed to kill Manik. Thanks to Nishant, they could track these people through their bank accounts and now Manik would give Neel a taste of his medicine. He had paid these people to bump Manik off, now Manik will pay them double to confess the truth in front of everyone.

Manik had asked Nandini to text her, in case of emergency, but the condition that Nandini was in, at the moment, she had to hear his voice to calm her fraying nerves. But with the spies roaming all around her, even speaking to Manik was going to be risky. An idea struck her mind and she rushed to the washroom upstairs, locked the door and dialled Manik's number.

"Manik ......" That is all she could manage to say.

Just one word and he could feel the deep agony in Nandini's voice. He had expected things to go wrong, and he had already drawn a contingency plan. But the graveness in Nandini's voice implied, things at her side had gone worse than he had anticipated. Had he been in Mumbai, he would have somehow met her and consoled her in his embrace. But, all he could now, was to talk her out of whatever problem she was in. "What's wrong Nandini? Why are you gasping?"

"Wo Amms.... Wo...."

"Take a deep breath Nandini & tell me" By then Manik had parked his car in front of a nearby shop. The last thing he could afford now was another accident.

She did as told. Stopped and took three deep breaths before resuming to tell the sordid tale.

"Wo Amms has gone all nuts, kuch bhi bole ja rahi hain, ek to wo Neel ke parents have landed here, upar se Amms ne chachi ko kya kya sab suna diya...You know she even taunted chachi for not having her own child...I can't even imagine, how she could say that?" More than the happy moments, it were times like these, when she thanked her stars for having Manik in her life. 'To have that one person in life, with whom you can share your biggest worries, & who will do anything and everything to keep you safe' is a blessing that only those know, who have fought their battles all alone. Rolling back to the time before Manik's return, Nandini remembered how she would be all nervous and quiet, unable to share her inner thoughts. How day after day, from a bright and resilient girl, she had withdrawn from the world to shrink inwardly & become a sorry version of her earlier self. Pushing those thoughts aside, she continued "And tumko to she hates like you are her enemy. Like you are responsible for everything wrong in our lives. Earlier also she used to be strict and a pakka disciplinarian but you know na, she used to have a heart.... but the way she spoke today, she sounded like an autocrat who refuses to see or hear any logic."

"What else did she say about me?" Manik asked and Nandini innocently replied without weighing her words.

"Yahi ki you are a spoilt brat & she had made a mistake by forgiving you the last time. She said she will not forgive you again and never let you enter our house. Why does she hate you so much, why does she always read people wrong? Why does she the devil in you and the angel in Neel?"

Manik replied after a long pause "May be she still cares for you. May be she just hates me, and that hatred is making her do all this...with you and Chachi"