Chapter 124

The clock was just about to touch 7 and Alya was a bundle of nerves. For the nth time, she checked herself in the mirror. Was her neck line too plunging? Was the skirt sitting snugly on her waist? Was this shade of midnight blue looking a tad too flashy on her?

Just like Manik and Nandini, her attire too was colour coordinated with the one she had gifted Dhruv for tonight's occasion. His kurta and her top, where both in white while his jacket and her skirt were the same shade of midnight blue. Would he notice ? Would the others notice, or would they dismiss it as a mere coincidence? Was she trying too hard, putting more trust in him than she should? Was she doing the same mistake as before by giving too much of her too soon? Why couldn't she be like other girls...cautious...measured? Why like others, she couldn't let Dhruv justify his feelings and take the first step? Why was she always willing to give a part of her away? Is that why men took her for granted, is that why, instead of respecting her selflessness, they took her for a low hanging fruit that they could pluck, take a bite and throw away?

Her head was almost about to burst, when her cell popped up with this.

"Tell me how I am looking in this? I have never worn anything so exquisite and what makes it doubly special, is that it has someone's special touch."

"Who's special touch?" She asked, her heart skipping a beat

"I could call her the sweetest honey bunch, if she would let me. Waise tell me if I am looking good enough for her.."

"How would I know how pretty she is?"

"Prettiest!! Ask the mirror and it shall tell... can't wait to see her.."

"Come soon :)"

She grabbed the phone with both her hands and leaped on the bed, doing a little tango step. If only he could see the pink of her blushing cheeks. Strange how a few words can fight a world of darkness, putting to rest every fear and apprehension. And this time when she looked back in the mirror, she couldn't move her eyes beyond that million dollar smile that adorned her lips.

***

The first one to arrive was Nandini. It was her function, she had the legitimate right to take her time and dilly dally, but no, there she was, bang on time with her uncle and Rishab, before everyone else. Alya welcomed her warmly with a hug, admiring how resplendent Nandini was looking in the light blue dress she had painstakingly put together for her.

 Alya welcomed her warmly with a hug, admiring how resplendent Nandini was looking in the light blue dress she had painstakingly put together for her