Chapter 58

He pulled her from behind him, into an embrace. "How, i mean how do u manage to do it everytime? " he lifted her chin slightly so he could look into her eyes.

"Do what?" She asked him, wide eyed.

"Itni si to ho, suru hotei khatam kho jati ho, I mean look at you, you don't even reach my shoulders and fir bhi you always come between me and my fears. Tell me how do you do it?"

"Kya matlab, suru hotei khatam ho jati hun? I am 5'2"" she deliberately stressed on the 5'2" part "Woh to tum coconut tree ho, to tumko sab dwarf hi lagte hain." She sniffed, trying to show her displeasure. The difference in their heights had always been a bone of contention for her, and he, who found it rather amusing, would never leave a single chance to tease her about it. Secretly however, they both found it cute. The fact that he could lift her anytime, pick her up, hang her over his shoulders or carry her in his broad arms made him feel all the more protective of her. They both loved how she had to tip toe on her feet and he had to lean over to kiss her, that unlike other couples, he couldn't wrap his arm around her waist when they walked together, he had to always place it over her shoulder. But her favourite part was that when she hugged him, she could directly listen to his heart. She had always loved listening to his heartbeat, for it had always been true to her. Even at a time when she used to think he was no better than a Monster, his heartbeat had given away his little secret. Under the shroud of darkness in a locked room, it had told her, that beneath the angry hood, he was a vulnerable boy who was as scared of darkness as she was of mice.

This was the first time after returning that he had teased her. She felt an unexplained bubble of joy.

"Arre, you didn't answer me Miss Tipsy, how do you do it everytime? Did you take a course in 'HOW TO BE A SAVIOUR?'"

"Oh yes, and guess what, you were my classmate in that course, who blatantly cheated and then topped." She frowned and he fell out laughing "So you should ask yourself, may be you know how this is done."

"I have already asked myself, trust me, but i could never really understand this strange connection with you. Let me be honest here, all this female attention that I get, kinda intimidates me. Even at the hospital where I was perhaps at my worst, they didn't spare me."

She rolled her eyes. "Are you trying to make me feel jealous for real this time?" She regretted as soon as she said it. She didn't even want to remember where this discussion had lead them to the previous evening.

He pulled her closer. "But I could never feel a connection with them. Forget connection, I couldn't even make a proper conversation. But one look at you at the Zurich airport and I don't know what happened. I was going to bang my fist but I saw your face and I just went into a trance."

"Zurich airport????" She was way too surprised to frame a full sentence. How had he seen her there when she had never stepped her foot outside the country.

"Oh on that joker's phone. His phone was lying near the restroom basin and you had rung him up. Since then till now, it hasn't changed one bit. Tell me why I feel like I have known you forever and every passing moment this feeling only intensifies?" He was playing with her traces now.

"May be we have met before, may be our paths have crossed, may be you have known me from a previous birth, who knows..may be we have been together since forever.."

"isiliye, this is why itni kitabein nahi parni chahiye, especially chick lit novels..such cheesy lines Nandini..woh kaunsi book thi.. 'A walk to remember' huh?" he liked teasing her, but somewhere he knew she was right, no matter how illogical or cheesy she sounded, he had felt it each time, that his bond with her had been ages old. As if he had known her for a 1000 years!