Chapter 65

"Does you game allow me to give you bonus marks for tasks that are not listed?"

"No, and you know I didn't do it to win. Its just that when you sing, I get carried away.....getting back to the game, we are 1:1 now."

"Now, its your turn Nandini"

"Ok, so I want to attempt the 2nd wish next, that is to dance with you in rain, but it isn't raining yet, so you have to go ahead with yours."

What was her second wish? Create one memory which will never grow old. What did it mean? Memories always grew old because they essentially capture a moment in time. Then how would he create one that defies time?

Nandini was eager to know what Manik would do to fulfil her second wish. She had blurted it out in excitement, without having paid much thought to it. But now that she was re considering it, she was sure it wasn't a feasible wish. "Manik, I think I had been a little unfair and I should just swipe my second wish" If you could trust Nandini to always come up with wacky ideas, you could also bet on her honesty. She always gave a fair chance, even to her enemies (the only exception ever was Neel. With him, Nandini wished she could just turn into an evil witch with a electric wand)

"I play to win , Nandini Murthy. I guess I have already told you once."

He dragged her to the kitchen and started ransacking her fridge while she stood confused, trying to understand what he was up to.

"This is the second best answer to your wish" Answer to her wish in the fridge? Had he lost it? And that too he was saying second best? Then why wasn't he attempting THE BEST option?

Manik pulled out a mango from the farthest corner of the fridge and gave her a wait-and-watch smirk. He then grabbed a laddle and made his way out to the front porch of the house.

He kneeled down on his knees to dig out some soil. "Nandini come here and hold my hand."

As they both sat down to sow the ripe mango, he explained "You asked me to create a memory that will never grow old. Well as we sow this seed today, it will germinate one day and then it will grow into a plant and eventually into a tree. You may shift out of this house, you may move ahead in life, but this memory will never grow old, because every time you come here, you will only see it grow bigger and bigger."

Nandini was stumped

Nandini was stumped. This was totally unexpected and delightfully so. Why didn't it strike her? But she was glad to trail 1:2. Manik deserved it all the way.

Nandini looked up at the overcast sky, which, much to her misery was slowly clearing out. Traces of a wayward wind was pushing the clouds away. It was one of those days when you could just walk outside or lay on the grass, or just lean against each other and watch the sun play hide and seek. Only it was a disaster for her second task. Time was slipping away, minute by minute, hour by hour. She didn't want to let him go, and this was new. Earlier it had always been him, who craved to hold her back, who found excuses to stay close to her but the separation had made her so paranoid that she panicked at the mere thought of staying away from him. How long will they live apart in two cities? Would she eventually shift to pune or would he return to Mumbai. Everytime she thought about the future, it scared her. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath...'Live in the present Nandini' She kept on chanting in her head.