Chapter 116

Nandini flinched as the sunlight pouring in through the window fell on her lids. Still groggy, she extended her arms to hold him tighter. But instead, when the cold fabric of the bedsheet brushed against her arms , she woke up with a jerk. Alone on that bed, except for the crumbled bedsheet and the ring lying abandoned on the bedside table, there was no trace of his ever being there. Her heart started to race at once, her temple broke out in cold sweat. Nandini climbed down and darted out.

The living room was desolate. She checked Ranbir's bedroom, but Manik wasn't there as well. She was just about to open the entrance door to look for him outside, when her eyes fell on the balcony and there he was, standing in one corner, his back to the wall.

Nandini closed her eyes & heaved a sigh of relief.

Where had life tossed them? How had it come to this, this fear..this numbing anxiety....this apprehension of 'What now' infiltrating every single corner of her brain? His absence for just one brief moment, could send her into a tizzy ...forcing her to draw terrible scenarios in her head? This is not the Nandini she had known all her life. This petrified girl who didn't trust her own destiny...this wasn't her.

Every relationship, at its core is the same, whether its between two people or between man and his destiny, without 'trust' neither can grows, & without 'love', both would eventually wilt. Had she not trusted Manik, had she not chosen to look beyond his monstrosity, would she have ever discovered the real side of him?

She would have to do the same with destiny, trust its design and instead of cursing it for the hardships strewn across their path , thank it for at least bringing them together. What is the probability that out of 7 billion people, you bump into that one person you thought you had lost? How many people survive the kind of accident, Manik had in Panchgani? How many of us are blessed with the kind of friends and lover, that she had? Why then had she overlooked her blessings and only counted the mishaps?

She gently patted over her own thumping heart, tricking it into believing, it was going to be just fine. Well, may be not fine all at once, but she had her hope to pull her through, pull them through. She took another deep breath and stepped into the balcony.

"Manik..tum yahan the...n I was looking for you all over the place.."

He didn't respond.

"Waise.. Goodmorning.." She tried to keep the conversation moving.

"What's so good about the morning?"

"How are you feeling now..?"

"Fine!"

"Coffee peeyoge?"

"No"

"Acha fir chai?"

"No"

"Nimbu pani? I think you should definitely have nimbu pani..your hangover will go away..tumhi ne to sikhaya tha..remember wo when we were lying on the roof of your car..?"

"Nandini...can you just stop!!" Manik bawled, forcing her to go silent abruptly. But then realized at once, he had been unnecessarily harsh on her. "I didn't mean to... I .. I just need some time alone Nandini..I need time to think straight and waise bhi you should go home ..your family would be worried, you were out all night WITH ME." He added with a hint of sarcasm.

It hurt her that he was being so distant, so indifferent, as if her presence or absence made no difference to her. It hurt that he was hesitant to pour out his true emotions to her and was pushing her away..it hurt that he called them 'Her family' instead of chacha- chachi-Rishab as he had always done and he had'nt even asked her, if her bandaged wound was still paining.