Chapter 137

"Manik" Nandini held out a tray, with two cups of steaming hot coffee and a plate of cookies.

"Why did you get up so early Nandu? Aaj to office bhi off hai."

'Because I could no more bear to see you sitting here alone. Look at your eyes Manik, they are bloodshot. You haven't slept in two days...and after what happened yesterday...I feel like..' If only she could actually say this.

"Bhuk lag rahi thi Manik, kal raat didn't have dinner na." she ended up saying.

Manik looked at her with guilty eyes. "I should have asked you to eat something..."

'Indeed, you should have asked me to eat something,' Nandini thought, 'instead of spending the night here, alone, punishing yourself for a crime you haven't committed. You should go about life like yesterday night was a nightmare, because when people refuse to see sense again and again, we should just leave them alone. Period!'

It was against her nature, to mete out such indifference, and that too when the person in question was Dhruv. But the more his vilified words echoed in her head, the more his vengeant face flashed before her eyes, the more she felt entitled to her anger. It was wearing her out, this 'now friends- now enemy' kind of relationship. She was tired of his baseless accusations, to the point that she was actually angry at Manik for still putting up with it.

She was about to say something, when Manik's phone started buzzing. They both glanced at the screen, hoping against hope that it would be Dhruv, but instead an unsaved number was blinking on and off.

"Hello" a young male voice greeted Manik on the other end.

"Hello" Manik answered absentmindedly, staring at Nandini's anxious face.

"Hi Manik, this is Vikkie from Channel 7, we are doing pre-production for a brand new musical show.......would you like to audition for the anchor's role?"

How come someone was offering him such a big opportunity, when his commercial with UCB wasn't even a day old? His brows creased in an angry frown when it struck him like a bolt of lightning.. Channel 7 was the same channel that had organized the audition for the musical reality show and later cancelled it.