Chapter 83

Nandini woke up with a jerk, frightened to her bones. What was that loud crashing sound?

She sat up on the bed, trying to make sense of the world around her. Why was her head feeling like a 1000 kg stone? Why was it so dark and fuzzy? where was Manik? how did she end up in the bed? Why was her stomach churning like a washing machine? What was bloody wrong with the world? A thousand questions hit her at once.

She crawled forward to climb down, but the moment she put her first step on the floor, her head spun and she fell back on the bed.

She called out for him in fear but the silence following her plea scared the daylights out of her. Beads of sweat started sprouting all over her face. She was dancing and then they had come here and then she had mentioned something about Neel? But What? How much had she revealed? They came to her in hazy flashes but she couldnot place them in a proper sequence,  the way the incidents had unravelled.

Nauseated and disoriented, she pushed herself to stand back again. The room was pitch dark, and without a trace of Manik anywhere. She turned the bed lamp on and blinked her eyes a quick few times to clear out her blurred vision. There, she saw a faint streak of light in the balcony and quickly ran towards it.

It was so fucking cold, and she had been exposed to it so suddenly that she shuddered with an almost epileptic intensity . For a moment her brain had stopped registering what lay in front of her eyes. This couldn't be. Perhaps she was still in her dreams and this was a nasty nightmare. But her heart knew this was it, this is what it had tocome to one day, this is what she was dreading of, this was her worst ever nightmare.

Manik was on the floor, his back pushed to iron railing, his legs huddled close to his chest, & in the damp chilly night, he was trembling in just a pair of khakis and a thin T shirt

Manik was on the floor, his back pushed to iron railing, his legs huddled close to his chest, & in the damp chilly night, he was trembling in just a pair of khakis and a thin T shirt. On his left, the glass table stood cracked and right below it lay two broken bottles of liquor.

'What had she confessed in her drunken state', She was just about ransacking her brain when her eyes fell on the twisted cover of what used to be her diary once upon a time. A half torn page flipped up and down furiously, while the wind had tossed away the rest of the torn bits.

"Diary....Confession...shit!!!!!!!" Manik had read it! Manik had read it in her absence and now God knows what he was thinking because her confession had been incomplete.
His condition was pitiable. It was out rightly painful. This is why she had kept it from him for so long. Nobody freaking understood how it felt to see him broken like this. If she could cut her heart open, she would do it and give it to him.

She bent down and tried to inch closer to him. "Manik, Manik listen to me. I wanted to tell you everything but.." she took his hand in hers but he shrugged it off and pushed her away, leaving her feeling abandoned and hurt. He refused to as much as look into her eyes. They were bloodshot. He was drunk, he had consumed two whole bottles of liquor but he wasn't intoxicated. Her breath, her racing pulse, damn she couldn't calm it. How would she get him back to sense?