Chapter 107

As soon as the three buddies entered Nandini's room upstairs, Ranbir threw himself on Nandini's dainty little bed which was half covered with the worthless stuff her to-be inlaws had brought for her. But the moment he hit the bed, Ranbir screamed from a shooting pain in his hip. "Mar gaya, WTF Nandini, needles laga ke rakkhe hain kya bed pe, to welcome your in-laws??"

It indeed was a needle, fallen lose from one of the saree boxes. The girls started giggling when they realized it, while Ranbir, massaging his back exclaimed in utter disgust "Your in-laws are really a pain in the ASS man!! And before you roll your eyes at me, I am in no way apologetic for my language." This cracked up Nandini even more, who by now had her tummy hurting with all the laughter.

"Waise itna saara luggage? Navya, Have you packed your whole wardrobe?"

"Nandini...Nandini..when will you grow up little girl? Three out of four are empty, and ek main we have got our stuff." Ranbir replied.

"Wo to Manik ke bolne pe humne Mumbai land karke kharida humne taki yahan aake thora melodrama kar sakein." Then Navya explained how all three of them had gone to Delhi and then to Dehradun. She told her about Nishant and Ria and how they had helped in hacking Neel's accounts. Then she mentioned how Manik had to leave suddenly and then how he had called them from Dehradun to protect Nandini.

Nandini, after hearing out the entire story was having a hard time deciding how to react. Should she celebrate the fact that she was so loved, that keeping her in oblivion, her lover and her friends had gone to such an extent for her sake, or should she mourn the same? Had it not been for her own grandmother's dogged , persistent & stubborn prejudice, none of this would have happened. And it wasn't just the physical exhaustion, they all had jobs to keep, and having lost her own, few weeks ago for an extended absence, she knew these people had put a lot at stake. She had always admired Manik for being such a good friend, she had always felt his pain, but for the first time today she was living his circumstances where her family had become strangers and friends had taken their place.

"I am sorry Ranbir..Navya..meri wajah se.." The smile on her face from a few minutes ago had almost fast slipped away.

Navya put her arm around Nandini "Sorry kyun Nandini? Dost hote kisliye hain akheer?"

"Are Nandini tum fir suru ho gayi.. Yeh tum dono ka common disease hai kya? Sorry..thank you..fir sorry..fir thank you.. Thak nahi jate kya itni formality karte karte....suno kehte huye bura lag raha hai, I mean you are the bride and we should be the one bringing you food but Ma kasam bohot bhook lagi hai.. 10 minute mein garma garam chole puri nahi mile to I swear, tumhari shaadi ki jagah yahan mera shraadh ho jayega. So please jaldi se do plate chole puri lake do for me....and ya by chance if you happen to have any moti choor ke laddoos to...kya baat! "

Nandini smiling went downstairs to bring two plates full of piping hot food for Ranbir.

*****

A little later, Nandini received a call from a courier guy and when she went down to see what it was, she realized, the flow of gifts hadn't stopped with the entry of Ranbir and Navya. Infront of her lay a huge box, all gift wrapped and tied with a pale pink satin ribbon. Nandini turned it sidewise to read the gift tag. Ok, so this too was from Manik. With Navya's help, she moved the box upstairs to her room. But during this movement, they caught the attention of mrs. Dixit. While her chachi and Amms were busy in the kitchen, and Rishab had gone out with chacha to inspect the banquet hall they had booked for the marriage, Mr. and Mrs Dixit were keeping a keen eye on all the things and people entering the house. And from the look on her face, she seemed more excited than Nandini to see what was inside.