Chapter 84

"You can't leave just like that, ok? You have to talk to me, we have to talk this out." She grabbed both of his wrists as tightly as she could and stood before him like a human barricade.

"Leave me alone Nandini, before I do something for which I would have to repent later. " He jerked her hands off him. What was she thinking, with that size of hers, she was going to be able to stop him? He freed himself in less than half a minute and reached for the door.

"If you walk out of the door now, leaving me like this, I would take it that you are walking out on me, on us."

She knew she could never overpower him physically. That was practically impossible. But then she also knew, no matter how angry or upset he was, he could never leave her for good. She could and in fact she had. Her stubborn anger had almost caused him an amputated arm. In panchgani, she had banged his hand against the car. Time upon time, she had walked out on him, in anger and despair, but he, despite being the impulsive angry soul that he was, had never stopped caring for her, not even when she had broken his trust.

He took one step back and that was all she needed, that one signal from him, that one ray of hope, no matter how bleak it was.

"Do what you want to do Manik, but just talk to me please." She crashed against him, locking her arms around his stiff body.

What would he say, when he himself couldn't decipher what was going on inside his head. Was he angry? Was he upset? was he feeling pity for himself ? What was it.... What was bothering him more, Nandini's hiding all of this from him, the shithead called Neel Dixit or the circumstances that had brought them here. And what was it that he wanted to do now.

"Why did you not tell me earlier? Why did you fucking not tell me earlier? What did you think that I am this nursery kid who can't handle things because I am sick, because my memory is playing tricks with me and you the hero will handle him all by yourself. What were you trying to do, first sacrifice your life for your family and then stay mum for me? Who do you think you are, Mother Teresa?"

"Exactly, you are a nursery kid because this is how you handle things, with anger. Come..come with me" She broke away from the hug and pulled him towards the balcony. He could break free if he wanted to, she knew he was fully capable of doing that, but he didn't. "Look at that...that broken table and the broken bottles and this..." She said, putting her finger over his heart "this shattered thing here, this is how you handle things Mr. Manik Malhotra"

"Right, I am a good for nothing piece of shit! One who has swallowed three whole years of his life, who is stuck up somewhere in time, who is living over a bed of lies... and who can't protect his own girlfriend. Why are you still here with me? Go..go away and leave me alone."

"I am not going away anywhere. I am staying right here with you, whether you like it or not. I have loved you and I am going to hang around your neck for the rest of your life." She said it with an authority he hadn't seen in her before. She had grown stronger and now he knew why. A part of him did realize that she wasn't at fault. She was the victim, but then that's what we do. We vent out on the very people who mean the most to us. He wasn't particularly angry at her, he was angry for her.

"How could he do that to you? How could you let him do it, even after I was back. What if usne kuch kar diya hota.. Pehle bhi you did the same thing, with that Pandit. You don't learn your lessons do you." He was beginning to talk to her instead of throwing words in the air.

" Yes I don't. I fucking don't. Mujhe to maza aata hai na trouble create karke? Excitement milti hai aise jerks ke saath rehkar? Ek bar Manik, put yourself in my shoes and tell me agar tum meri jagah hote to kya karte. 3 fucking years I lived without you and then one fine day you turn up out of nowhere, not knowing who you are. You think it was bloody easy acting like a stranger with someone I love more than my life. You think I was having fun with this sword hanging over my head. How would you feel if you saw me like that, clueless, lost, helpless. Would you care about me or dump your fucking problems on my already burdened chest."