Chapter 72

"Why is he disconnecting my phone Aiyappa?" Nandini thought aloud. This was the third time she had called him and each time he had rejected her call.

Just then a message popped up on her screen 'In a mtng. Cl u soon. Y was ur cell switchd off for so long? I was worried'

He had to have a meeting now, of all times? It seemed that even Aiyappa was not in her favour. Uff what would she do now, how would she just calm her nerves. May be she should just write everything down. This would kill time and also help her structure her thoughts.

She was deeply engrossed in writing when he finally rang her up. "Missing me already??"

"Manik I need to meet you" she got down to the point, right away, not enquiring about him or his drive as she usually did.

"You are missing me so much?? You should have told me earlier no.. then I would have stayed back. See I came to Pune and now I am stuck in this stupid meeting." Manik was being his usual flirtatious self, but Nandini was cursing herself. Yes, she most definitely should have. Why the hell did she not stop him.

"Manik I seriously need to meet you. Should I come over to Pune?" What could possibly be so urgent, Manik wondered. Why was she behaving like a child. He was with her merely 6 hours ago. She didn't tell him anything then and now that he was in Pune and that too held up in a critical meeting, she wanted to come over. This didn't feel right.

"Nandini, something is wrong, right? Tell me kya hua, tell me right now."

"Can't tell you over phone. I am coming over to Pune."

"No, no don't do anything like that. I am held up in a meeting with a few foreign clients. Abhi dad nahi hai to I have to be here. Gimme an hour or so, I will wrap it as fast as I can and I will drive back to Panchgani, ok?"

"Matlab tumko aate aate shaam ho jayegi" Her voice clearly expressed her dejection.

"Utna time to lag hi jayega na Nandini, it's a 4 hour drive from here. But don't worry, I will be there. Ok?" he was trying to calm her but he himself was apprehensive about what Nandini was going to share. From the look of it, something was wrong. Could it be Neel?"

AS he was about to disconnect the line, he heard Nandini's panic-stricken voice again "Manik!!! Drive safe...n... I love you.. I love you very very much."

"I love you too Nandini"

"Manik...will you always love me? Chahe kuch bhi ho jaye?" She desperately wanted a reassurance. She wanted him to promise her that he would continue to love her, even after what was to come next.

"Why do you ask that Nandini, You know I will." He needed to assure himself more than he needed to assure her. Who had seen eternity, who knew what the future held for them, yet they wanted to make promises standing where we were. He had seen so many dark shades of life that he knew shit happened, still he hoped, no storm, no past, no circumstance, nothing would tear them apart.

"I don't know why I ask. All I want is for you to tell me that come what may, you will never leave my side. I understand things will not always be right, sometimes I will screw up badly, but if you are there besides me, it will be worth getting up & pulling through. There's so much going on in my head now, but I just want you to know that you are both my jar of sunshine and my starry night and without you, I will perhaps be alive but I doubt if I will ever truly live" She blurted out in one breath.

"You do have a way with words, Nandini" No one could have said it better than her. She had said it for both of them. "I will message you before I leave"