Chapter 37

Manik turned the rear view mirror down, to have a better look at himself. He ran his fingers though his damp hair. That tiny smirk sitting on his curved lips...the naughty sparkle in his eyes....his muscular torso...he couldn't help admiring himself. Boy, did he look hot in that open shirt. He blushed... to himself!

'God!!!! this was a first. What's wrong with you Manik Malhotra, what are you upto??' He asked himself aloud.

This was definitely a first.

He no more frowned looking at himself, his eyes didn't betray him anymore. His search for himself no more ended at a dead end, infact, now he had a small window that opened straight to his soul.

He smiled.

He was happy, in fact a little more than happy. The rain had indeed washed away the anger, the pain, the insecurities and some of the questions that had almost imprisoned him for a little less than a day. No..not a day, some of this burden, he had been carrying along for a long long time and little by little he could now see them being washed away.

It felt so good, without that hood of anger he always wore. For the first time in years, he was not afraid of himself.

"Nandini.." her name slipped from his tongue.

He used to think, she was powerful enough to make him forget everything when she was with him. Wrong, she was way more powerful than that. She could actually make him forget everything even in her absence.

The very first time he had set his eyes on her photograph at the Zurich airport, she had stopped him from banging his fist against the counter top.

It was the earnestness to meet her that had made him go out of his way to help two strangers in the hospital, on day of her engagement.

That night in Panchgani, she had held him like a baby in her tiny arms when he was tired of fighting his own demons.

She had given him HOPE and MUSIC.

She was the one who told him to listen to his heart, when he was losing out in the battle between his heart and mind.

And today with one 'No' she had set so many wrongs, right.

If he were to give her a name, what would it be? He liked stars, more than anything else and she was like a pole star, always guiding him whenever he was on the verge of losing his way.

He should quit trying to look serious. This smile on his face was going to stay.

He dialled her number.

"Hey Manik, kahan pounche?"

"Listen I forgot to ask you something."

"Mee too, I forgot to tell you something."

"Girls first.. Shoot."

"Friday evening ko annual meet hai and I, Nandini Murthy am cordially inviting you to be our guest of honour."

"Haaa haaa , Wo tum nahi bhi bulati to main aa hi jata. After all my friend is performing."

Nandini was baffled. "Kaunsa friend? Mere alawa tumhara sanjeevani mein kaun friend hai?"

"Tumhe kya lagta hai Nandini Murthy, ek bas tumhi ho meri FRRRIEND? Itna bhav khana band karo." he chuckled as she frowned. "Woo hai na mera boyfriend wala friend."

It took her a while to understand who Manik was referring to, but when she did, she couldn't help adore this newly formed bond "Oh you mean Chiraag?"

"Acha to uska naam chiraag hai ! "

"Yeh kaisi friendship hai, tum to apne friend ka nam bhi nahi jante."