Chapter 26

Standing there, holding her in his arms, he had lost track of time. Except for the chirping of crickets, it was eerily silent. Night had slowly descended.

He could no more feel her grappling against him, her sobs had stilled. He slowly released her from the embrace.

Her eyes were puffy from the crying, her sullen face was smeared with tears. He cupped it gently and wiped off the tears. She was right.. It was because of his stupid anger that he was almost going to lose his life, but he felt worse for having made her cry.

He wanted to kiss her, not in a romantic sort of a way but to assure her that he was ok and that he was sorry. He hated it when people cried, especially girls. He thought crying was a trick they used to seek attention. He also hated crying because it reminded him of his own tears, of how he used to break down in the hospital, alone, scared and helpless. But now when he saw her in tears, why couldn't he hate it, why couldn't he just order her to stop the drama. Instead, He felt protective of her, and this was so new to him. He hadn't felt this way for anyone, not even himself. He didn't care for anyone but he wanted to care for her.

His mind was telling him not to.. he knew he shouldnt but he couldn't resist himself. He bent forward and gave a peck on her forehead.

He pulled back and stood motionless for a while. He was dreading her reaction to his impulsive kiss, and was mentally preparing himself to stay calm if she were to. But much to his dismay and relief she didn't. Bettr still she was back to being the Nandini he adored. "Haan to yahi khare khare rat bitado aur jab main bhook se mar jaoon to yehi pe dafnake wapas jaio"

"Whaaatt ?? You are hungry to pehle kyun nahi bola? "

"Huh!! " She rolled her eyes at him " Tumhara yeh angry young man ka role play khatam ho to bolun na ki insaan ko bhook bhi lagti hai.. Pyaas bhi lagti hai.. N especially jab samne wala sara poha safachat kar de aur aapko offer bhi na kare"

"Wooo... Wooo.. I m sry" He scratched his head in embarrassment.

"Acha batao is jungle mein kanhi ek decent restaurant milega."

They started walking towards his car. The nearest restaurant.. No not a restaurant, it was a small tapri.. was a couple of miles downhill.

'Nandini Murthy that was a really really narrow escape.. Aaj to to tum pakri jati. The way you reacted, the way you cried, woh kya soch raha hoga? Ya to soch raha hoga ki tum drama queen ho ya fir pakka samajh gaya hoga ki u know more than u r showing' Nandini was caught in a tussle between her sharp mind and dumb heart.

'Soche to soche, jo marzi soche. Uski kismat achi hai ki usko kuch yaad nahi. Warna aaj to manik seriously pit jata mujhse. Aiyappa when will u give some wisdom to this guy and when will u have some mercy on me. Yeh koi iron-magnet ka game hai kya, ekbar paas bhejte ho n then u pull him away and hide him some where. 3 months n then 3 years n now what. Agar aaj usko kuch ho jata na Aiyappa, I swear on Rishab i woukd never ever have spoken to you again. Its ok i can hate him, i have reasons to but u aiyappa will always protect him. U hv promised me remember."

"Nandini !!! Yeh restaurant hai??? R u serious?"

"Yeh Mumbai nahi hai Mr. Manik Malhotra, yeh Panchgani hai. Yahan raat ke 9 baje tumko yahi milega... kaka ki tapri." She totally ignored Manik's u-got-to-be-kidding-me look. "Kaka, mujhe ek bun maska or omlette dijiyega, and in janaab ko.."

"Nothing, mujhe nahi khana yahan tumhare kaka ki tapri par"

"In janab ko kuch nahi. Inka ego hai na inki bhook mitane ke liye."

She grabbed her plate and sat on a nearby bench.

Manik realized this was the closest thing to food he was going to get for the rest of the night and he was already starving from the hiking and all that followed afterwards.