Chapter 102

In those seven hours between remembering everything, informing his friends that he was leaving for Mumbai, securing a last minute flight ticket, 3 hours on the flight and finally landing at the Mumbai domestic terminal, each minute of which felt like a century, Manik had lived and died several times. He had felt happy, sad, shy, hopeless, angry, afraid and grateful all at the time but in each emotion he missed her. More than ever, he realized it now, just how much she meant to him & how entwined their lives were. Without her, his life had no purpose, where living and dying meant the same. Without her, his skies were grey and his days gloomy. Without her, he wasn't him anymore because the Manik he was now was not the Manik he used to be once upon a time....the one his venomous mom had raised.

He rushed out of the airport, hired a cab and went straight to her house.

At 1:30 am, still wide awake, Nandini was tossing and turning in her bed, both sad and angry at her hopeless lover. After they had spoken in the morning, she thought that he had forgiven her but when she tried calling him at 10, his phone was still switched off. Why on earth did he have to be so stubborn? If she could, she would have taken the next flight to Delhi to punch him in his belly before pulling him in a tight hug.

But just as she was lost in her thoughts, cursing Manik in between missing him, his name popped up on her screen.

All curses forgotten she hurriedly picked up the call.

"Come down fast."

'What!, where!!, how!!!!?' as usual he had not given her the time to ask anything before rudely disconnecting the call. Nandini pinched herself once and then skidded towards the window to re-confirm that she indeed wasn't hallucinating. But in her eagerness, she landed right against the wall, bruising her forehead and her right elbow. But who had time to brood about it now. Instead she ran downstairs as fast as she could and then stealthily sneaked out of the main door.

"Manik I am sorry..i am really sorry.." He didn't even let her finish, he just pulled her into his arms , arching over her, like a man possessed.

" He didn't even let her finish, he just pulled her into his arms , arching over her, like a man possessed

She could hear his heart beat like a maniac... even his hands wrapped around her, were trembling. Was he ok? Why was he not speaking? She tried to calm him down by rubbing his back, but his heart continued to thud just as loudly against her.

"Manik are you ok? Kya hua? Kuch to bolo.." That's when she felt his hands withdraw. He took a step back and asked her "Come with me." His eyes were moist and she wasn't having a good feeling at all. No matter how much they fought, one scratch on him and she felt breathless.

"But Manik, itni raat ko kahan? Everyone is sleeping inside, pata chal gaya to..."

"Please this one time come with me, I will drop you back before the sun rises." He was pleading as if he was too tired to fight and she had to come along, there was no way in hell she was going to leave him alone in this condition.