Chapter 138

"Aiyappa, please this time make it work...please Aiyappa. Please Manik ko yeh offer refuse mat karne dena."

"Nahi hoga..aiyappa se kuch nahi hoga."

Nandini turned her head and over her shoulders, rolled her eyes at Ranbir.

"Kya nahi hoga? Hay ram, subh subh bolo Ranbir. Jahan jata hai yeh insaan manhusiyat failata hai. Mata rani kuch akal do ise. " Navya blasted at Ranbir in her usual melodramatic tone, as Nandini continued to throw angry glances at him.

"Kya ghanta hoga, standing before ganpati bappa and praying to your Aiyappa?" he paused, marveling at his own statement "Wow that rhymes!! But on a serious note, pehle decide karlo, ki mangna kisse hai otherwise both the GODs will end up fighting with each other and beech mein se manik ka offer will slip away." He made a silly face, irritating the girls further.

"You know what Ranbir, I didn't know you were such a devil friend. Idhar meri jaan nikli ja rahi hai and you are cracking these rotten jokes." Nandini retorted, her hands still folded in front of her.

Poor little Nandini! His heart went out to her. He understood her nervousness and thereby her irritation. But he couldn't help it. He did try though, in fact he had tried pretty hard to contain his happiness and act serious like a nerve-ball, but honestly it wasn't working out.

He knew Manik had done it on purpose, put him on a spot by messaging him the news, but then, in the same message, warning him not to utter a word to the girls.

Apparently Manik wanted to declare it himself. Well, so far, Ranbir had somehow managed to keep his word, but if Manik didn't turn up in the next thirty minutes and let the news out, he knew he would either end up blurting it out or die from the intense stomach ache that holding on to this secret was causing him.

Thankfully though, Ranbir had to do neither.

It was Ganpati puja, they were all downstairs, in the pandal, amidst a hundred odd people singing and dancing to bappa's songs, but Nandini, despite her being present, was not really there. Had she ever been as nervous for herself as she was for Manik now ? But then, love has an irritating habit of defying every rule that there is, even those of Physics. So, for every action of your lover, there is an equal and opposite reaction on you. That's why, when he falls sick, its you, who spends sleepless nights, when he faces a challenge , you bite your nails off, he gets sad and you shed tears, he succeeds and you raise your collar.

it must have been close to 1 pm, the friends had just settled down with their slices of pizza and cans of coke, when Manik received a call and left the house in a jiffy. All he had told them before leaving was, he had an offer from a big channel, who had seen and liked his UCB advertisement. He had mentioned, if it went through, it could be a breakthrough and that he would update them as soon as he had one himself. It had been close to 5 hours, why didn't he call her yet? He should have at least sent her a message.

The question wasn't if he will get it, but whether he will choose it. Nandini didn't doubt his talent, not for a fraction of a second. She knew he was a born star, meant to dazzle and shine, meant to own whatever he set his eyes on. What bothered her instead was his haughty attitude, especially after witnessing his reaction to that guy from Channel 7, that very morning.

*****************

He had known all along, right from the time he gave his first shot, the stills from the UCB shoot would come out sleek. But he had no clue they would create the kind of ripples they had. Not one, but three different production houses had called up the UCB media team to enquire about Manik. So in the afternoon, when they called him to inform the same, his first reaction was that of shock. Nandini had called Ranbir and Navya over to spend the day at their place, since it was a holiday for everyone, and they were just settling down over lunch, when Manik had to leave everything and rush out in a jiffy.