Chapter 78

Nandini had been right about whatever the doctors had said. He would gradually remember the missing pieces of his past, because the process had already begun. In fact the process had started right from the day after the accident. He had had those flashes, of random faces, of incidents he had no clue about. But back then, he had ignored them as mere dreams.

But now that he knew about the memory lapse, and Nandini had told him about the time they had been together, he could connect the dots. They weren't dreams then. That school, those kids, that was Nandini's school. Those hills, that beautiful sunrise...they were not mere figments of his imagination, he had been there and lived amidst them.

Manik was excited; excited in a happy way because he was so close to claiming those golden moments back, which he thought, had slipped through his fingers to dissipate in the bosom of time. But he was scared too, in a way that we all are of the unknown. Who knew what his three years away from home, friends and Nandini held in them. Nandini had only told him a diluted version of his own words, but who knew what lay beyond.

But where was Nandini, he had to share all of this with her...both the happy and the not so happy parts. He pulled the duvet off him and got up. He went to the balcony and looked out. She wasn't there. The bathroom door was ajar. Where was she then?

Kitchen...yes, may be she was preparing something for him...that trademark yacky kara of hers. How much he hated the taste of that strange brownish liquid, it could make him puke in the very first sip, and yet, he could gulp it all down, just because she had prepared it for him. The last five days, she had spent most of her waking hours in the hospital. And despite that, she had still made time to go home to prepare a little something for him. She wasn't a great cook, yet no michelin star restaurant could compete with her food because every morsel of it tasted of love.

He would never be able to explain, why these so called 'middleclass' gestures mattered so much to him. Gestures, that most people take for granted. Perhaps ,because no one had ever done them for him. A mother, who tends to a sick child, who cooks for her kids, who feeds them and puts them to sleep, who prays for their wellbeing, he had not had a mother like that. His, was special in the worst way possible. So special that he sometimes wished he didn't have one. Nandini was the first woman in his life to do these things for him.

She was in the kitchen, he could hear her voice. Manik tiptoed, to surprise her, but he stopped at the door hearing her conversation.

Perhaps her hands were busy or dirty because she had put the call on speaker.

"Sir abhi to kal hi main aayi hun, how can I go back today to pick the stuff. Every body gets a months' time to vacate their quarter and here you are giving me one day!"

"Yes, that's when they retire or resign. Have you forgotten that you were expelled on disciplinary grounds. Expulsion doesn't have privileges Miss Murthy. Come and pick your stuff and make sure you leave the apartment neat and clean. Your replacement teacher needs to move in ASAP."

"Sir, why don't you understand. My friend here is sick, its physically not possible for me to go right now."

"You have today's day Nandini. Either you do it yourself, or I will get it done. Your belongings would be thrown away and the cleaning charges will be mailed to your home along with the reason of expulsion." And the line went dead.

Manik stood there, behind the door watching Nandini struggle with her tears. She was angry but she was helpless. How mean could people be. She had told him about losing her job, but she hadn't mentioned she worked with such jerks. Manik felt guilty, Nandini was being punished for taking care of him, but he felt more guilty because he wasn't there to protect her earlier.